7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

12/12 Empty Shells

The last chick that I helped Hatch

Him with the other 9 the three buffs are in a seperate bin.
celebrate.gif
Congrats! So cute!

The chick with its eyes closed did not make it. I did help this one out, or not, I used the Bacitracin which really helped the others that were shrink wrapped. I remember this one now as its eyes were closed I may have put the Bacitracin too close to its eyes. Keep the stuff on the dried up membrane is what I'll do if it happens again. a q-tip works well when applying ointment.
Check out the site on assisting chicks mentioned above very informative. Very lengthy but worth the read.

Ron the last three that were quitters did not pip internally and were very wet. How can that be when the rest were so dry including the Marans. I really tried to keep humidity higher than normally would this time. Does pipping draw that much moisture out of egg?

The chick with its eyes closed did not make it. I did help this one out, or not, I used the Bacitracin which really helped the others that were shrink wrapped. I remember this one now as its eyes were closed I may have put the Bacitracin too close to its eyes. Keep the stuff on the dried up membrane is what I'll do if it happens again. a q-tip works well when applying ointment.
Check out the site on assisting chicks mentioned above very informative. Very lengthy but worth the read.

Ron the last three that were quitters did not pip internally and were very wet. How can that be when the rest were so dry including the Marans. I really tried to keep humidity higher than normally would this time. Does pipping draw that much moisture out of egg?

Moisture is left because the chick quit before absorbing it. Wet chicks are wet not becaue incubation humidity was high. It is a development problem.

All 7 of my HAL chicks hatched, plus 3 that were set on the 14th. I seem to still have the 2 12/26 chicks that I will do a float test on tomorrow. I took 7 of the oldest chicks in the 'bator and moved them into the brooder with the 12/26 chicks and they settled right in. No stress at all. The 6 day old chicks accepted the younger ones with no fuss.

I now have 12 set to hatch in 2 weeks. Once they hatch, I'll set some more. This is fun. I'm hoping I will be able to find home for some of these babies.

Happy hatching!!

:celebrate :jumpy So happy for you! :highfive: That is awesome and he is pretty!!! :love Sounds like runners to me... @TJChickens has runners, I think... might be able to show you a pic to compare? ;) Research ducks before you decide to get them... it's best to get ones that suit you well... I adore Calls, but they are a bantam duck, fly extremely well and are a much easier target for predators than the larger ducks... plus hatching those is harder too, lol...
:hugs. Thanks!!!
10 Calls hatched, they are done... :celebrate 6 Ohiki so far, they will get another day due to low temp in their bator...
Yay!!!! :yiipchick
A bit behind the curve here, but here's pictures of my Runners..... Cute ducks!!!!
Here are a few photos of my silkies now. [URL=https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7208803/]
OMG!!!! :love. I will take some off your hands!!!! ;)[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom