7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Right.

For now.

Maybe Pekin?
What else lays good, I would like some COLOR!

Was thinking about Khaki's or Cayuga

I like Khakis, and what about Welsh Harlequins? WH's can be sexed at hatching by bill color.

Female Gold Phase WH

Male Khaki and WH

Female Silver Phase WH

Last edited:
I like Khakis, and what about Welsh Harlequins? WH's can be sexed at hatching by bill color. Female Gold Phase WH Male Khaki and WH Female Silver Phase WH
Oh! That's awesome, I know nothing about ducks. The WH sound like winners to me, because of the autosex/bill color. Are they good layers? Keep Em coming people , I need to set some duck eggs!

Oh!
That's awesome, I know nothing about ducks.
The WH sound like winners to me, because of the autosex/bill color.
Are they good layers?

Keep Em coming people ,
I need to set some duck eggs!

Mine aren't laying yet but I've heard they are super good layers.
When they hatch you can sex them by bill color for the first 3 days (males have dark bills females have light bills), then all their bills kinda all get darker and you can't tell male from female until about 8 weeks when they grow in feathers.

Oh and the babies in the pics (at least the ones you can see the bills of) are all female. I had an amazing hatch last spring of 9 females 3 males. At first I thought the bill thing didn't work cause of all the females lol, most of my hatches are 80% males.

This was my longest hatch. I usually wait 24 hours after the last hatched chick to check the unhatched eggs. This time I opened the last 3 right after the last chick hatched.
OK, so it's going on about probably 45 hours since the first two hatched. Sounds like maybe I should give her more time. Now I'm just worried about the live 2 eating & drinking. If they get out of the nesting box, they can't get back in. I've hung a small waterer with Ponltry Nutradrench where they could reach. Mama is chugging it down!:)

OK, so it's going on about probably 45 hours since the first two hatched. Sounds like maybe I should give her more time. Now I'm just worried about the live 2 eating & drinking. If they get out of the nesting box, they can't get back in. I've hung a small waterer with Ponltry Nutradrench where they could reach. Mama is chugging it down!
smile.png
Mama will probably give up within a day.

I like Khakis, and what about Welsh Harlequins? WH's can be sexed at hatching by bill color.

Female Gold Phase WH

Male Khaki and WH

Female Silver Phase WH
Oh man! These are my favorite duck! I hatched some just for fun and to get some into our area..they sold fast!

These were shipped eggs..I had a pretty decent hatch.. I was told! Soo cute.

th.gif
Got all my chicks taken care of, then I crashed! I wouldn't even call it sleep - woke up and ran to the incubator to make sure they're happy lil babies!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Up all night were ya? Yes, some of us stay up, some go to bed to wake up to babies..I'm one to sleep in the same room as the bator while they are hatching. It's like my ears are little radars, they know the sound of a newly hatched chick, up I pop, to check things out! So yes, I know how you feel. Glad your babies are good!

Back
Top Bottom