7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I get my daughter to go over to the bator and start "peep, peep, peep"-ing. She is an endless loop and batteries don't need recharging very often. I have also brought eggs over to a local school for the kids to watch them hatch. Imagine a room full of pre-schoolers peep-peeping at once. :lol:

Well I was going to say that I do chirp at them however the phone idea is great. They definitely respond. Preschoolers chirping. :lau

This is going to sound crazy..... I woke up this morning to a hatched chick, and several pips. But I can't find an empty shell. Where could it be?

That's ok I'm sure I set 29 18 shipped and 11 of mine. however after counting in a picture I took there were 30. Still stumped by that. Somewhere down the line I must have put one extra to fill the dozen. Memory....

That's ok I'm sure I set 29 18 shipped and 11 of mine. however after counting in a picture I took there were 30. Still stumped by that. Somewhere down the line I must have put one extra to fill the dozen. Memory....

1f914.png

It's that darn chicken math again!

Since 4 ducks hatched yesterday, I was hoping to wake up to find more in the bator.

No such luck. But 2 hours later, and I have another one zipping.

And I have one egg not showing any pip, but rocking like crazy..

And last night I did notice I had lost one. It had pipped, but apparently one of the early hatchers knocked the egg so the pip was against the bator wall and apparently it sufocated or something..

I haven't posted on this thread lately, so here's my update. I set 7 barred rock eggs on the 12th. All candled good on the 19, 26th, and yesterday afternoon (30th) before locking them down. I had an internal pip on one early this morning. Looks like they're right on schedule for a Jan. 1 hatch...

Yesterday evening:

Early this morning:

Sorry, I have been gone so long. With Christmas (the day, plays, etc), the kids starting rec league soccer, and family visits I have been extremely busy; but I am back. The HAL chicken eggs were locked down a day late (I forgot to warm up the hatcher soon enough, oops). I hope the extra day rotating won't be to hard on them. Out of the 20 chicken eggs set, 7 were tossed as clearly being quitters. The BCM eggs don't look too good, but I can't be 100% certain they are quitters, so they locked down too. Of the 15 quail eggs only one was tossed for being clear. However, the quail won't lock down until Friday (due to hatch Jan 3).

One of my hens went seriously broody and I considered allowing her to finish the hatch. However, she is one of three hens going to a new home in January along with several older chicks. So, I gave her three fertile eggs (that can go with her) when they hatch.

We do have a new addition to the family. A couple weeks before Christmas someone abandoned a litter of 2 month old puppies in town. We ended up taking one while others took the remaining pups. The pup we took was in pretty bad shape: malnourished, sick, and flea infested. Thankfully she didn't have a major worm issue, but we dewormed her anyway. She is doing much better now, healthy, happy, and up-to-date on vaccines. It frustrates me to no end when people are so careless with their animals.

Her name is Angel! She is very sweet, not mouthy at all, loves to play fetch and follows us everywhere.
Nice Puppy!

The eggs should be fine!

Back
Top Bottom