Sing Brightly
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Aug 1, 2015
Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 7yo Netherland dwarf doe that I've owned since she was weaned. She is not spayed. A week ago, I introduced a 4mo lop (also female) which has gone about as smoothly as I'd expect given the circumstances. Recently, the 7yo has begun acting extremely cranky, is uncharacteristically chewing incessantly at the walls (almost like she's trying to burrow into the sheetrock) and is carrying mouthfuls of hay about attempting to stash it in corners. I'm fairly certain the lop is indeed female, they're always supervised when out together and I've never seen any attempt at mating, or any spraying when they were separated. My two thoughts are that a.) Another rabbit around is messing her life up, maybe causing her to go into breeding mode despite no male rabbits being around, and b.) That it might be a coincidental medical issue causing her strange behaviour. I'd really like to get some sleep soon that's not interrupted by her scratching the walls, so if anyone has suggestions on the cause or solution to this behaviour I'd love to hear it.
IMG_20210811_095029749.jpg

Last edited:
is uncharacteristically chewing incessantly at the walls (almost like she's trying to burrow into the sheetrock) and is carrying mouthfuls of hay about attempting to stash it in corners.

I'd really like to get some sleep soon that's not interrupted by her scratching the walls, so if anyone has suggestions on the cause or solution to this behaviour I'd love to hear it.

Maybe you could give her a box full of hay to tunnel into. If she wants to make a tunnel or nest, she may settle down after she does, and then you could sleep in peace.

From your description, I would have guessed she is pregnant and within a week of giving birth. (Solution: give her a box of hay and be patient until she gives birth, and hope she doesn't have trouble with a first litter when she's that old.)

Since you say she cannot be pregnant, then I would guess false pregnancy (solution: be patient until it goes away, but letting her make a nest will do no harm, and might make her happier.)

If it doesn't settle down in a week or so, or if she shows any kind of physical distress, you could try taking her to a vet. But I'm guessing if you just give her a box of hay and be patient, the matter will resolve in a week or so, and both she and you will be happier with her digging in hay instead of sheetrock.

Maybe you could give her a box full of hay to tunnel into. If she wants to make a tunnel or nest, she may settle down after she does, and then you could sleep in peace.

From your description, I would have guessed she is pregnant and within a week of giving birth. (Solution: give her a box of hay and be patient until she gives birth, and hope she doesn't have trouble with a first litter when she's that old.)

Since you say she cannot be pregnant, then I would guess false pregnancy (solution: be patient until it goes away, but letting her make a nest will do no harm, and might make her happier.)

If it doesn't settle down in a week or so, or if she shows any kind of physical distress, you could try taking her to a vet. But I'm guessing if you just give her a box of hay and be patient, the matter will resolve in a week or so, and both she and you will be happier with her digging in hay instead of sheetrock.
Will do. Thank you! I had to block her off from where she was attempting to make a nest, as it was in a bad location, but I'll give her somewhere else to go.

A doe can have a pseudopregnancy if mounted by another rabbit. Maybe you didn't see that the lop did that. Even though she is also a female, a female rabbit can mount another female to show dominance.

I hope she has a little pink babies next week.

🤦
I don't. I have too many rabbits already. Lol.

A doe can have a pseudopregnancy if mounted by another rabbit. Maybe you didn't see that the lop did that. Even though she is also a female, a female rabbit can mount another female to show dominance.
Quite possible. I noted a day or two ago that the lop was humping at her front end, which I discouraged as she seemed quite upset over.

I was totally joking.
Is there a way to completely separate the two from each other where they can't even see each other?

I don't. I have too many rabbits already. Lol.

Quite possible. I noted a day or two ago that the lop was humping at her front end, which I discouraged as she seemed quite upset over.
Boy, your Netherland Dwarf doe must be nothing like the one I had years ago. If another girl rabbit tried to do that to her, she would have tried to rip her stomach open! No j:mad:ke! She was the meanest rabbit I ever had and I loved her personality. She lived to be 10-years-old, too, the only bunny I ever had that lived so long. I used to joke she was too mean to die.

Boy, your Netherland Dwarf doe must be nothing like the one I had years ago. If another girl rabbit tried to do that to her, she would have tried to rip her stomach open! No j:mad:ke! She was the meanest rabbit I ever had and I loved her personality. She lived to be 10-years-old, too. She's the only bunny I have ever had that lived so long. I used to joke she was too mean to die.
Aww. My girl used to be pretty aggressive but she's quieted down these last few years.

Back
Top Bottom