8-10 week old chicks. Gender and breed of back one????

spicychicken42

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
Hey I have a small flock of 2 ISA browns and 1 brown and 1 white silkie. About 10 weeks ago my sister's daughter's child care incubated eggs and hatched them. most parents didn't have chickens so my sister ( who has 1 silkie rooster and 1 hen) took 14 chicks. 12 ISA browns and 2 black chicks and there is a 2 week difference in age between the chickens with the black chicks hatching last. She gave us half of the chicks, 6 Isa Browns and 1 black chick when they were 4-6 weeks of age. We put them outside straight away.

Now that they are old enough (as Isa's are mostly white as roosters) we unfortunately have 4 roosters and definitely 2 hens.

Now the problem is not the roosters (our friends need roosters as well) but I have no Idea what breed and sex of the black chick is. It is getting emeraldy feathers throughout and I have no Idea.

I am hoping it is a hen as we only got 2 out of 6 ISA hens.

I will give pictures of our silkies, adult hens and flock of chicks as well as the black chick.

And Please Help as we want to know which ones to keep (hopefully one rooster the black one and the 2 hens)
unless the black is roo?!?!

And do you know her breed? Is she just a Black sex link or something different?

That is why I asked about the bottom of her feet. A lot of black breeds have very subtle differences. She does not look like a sex link to me. I'd say black Australorp if I had to guess. If she is an Australorp, the bottoms of her feet will be pink or flesh-toned.

Hey I have a small flock of 2 ISA browns and 1 brown and 1 white silkie. About 10 weeks ago my sister's daughter's child care incubated eggs and hatched them. most parents didn't have chickens so my sister ( who has 1 silkie rooster and 1 hen) took 14 chicks. 12 ISA browns and 2 black chicks and there is a 2 week difference in age between the chickens with the black chicks hatching last. She gave us half of the chicks, 6 Isa Browns and 1 black chick when they were 4-6 weeks of age. We put them outside straight away.

Now that they are old enough (as Isa's are mostly white as roosters) we unfortunately have 4 roosters and definitely 2 hens.

Now the problem is not the roosters (our friends need roosters as well) but I have no Idea what breed and sex of the black chick is. It is getting emeraldy feathers throughout and I have no Idea.

I am hoping it is a hen as we only got 2 out of 6 ISA hens.

I will give pictures of our silkies, adult hens and flock of chicks as well as the black chick.

The black chick is definitely a pullet. As for breed, it is probably a Black Australorp.

Back
Top Bottom