8 chicks, almost 9 weeks. Outside?

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
So here's the load down:
I have 8 chicks that I got on the 26th of October(making them almost 9 weeks old) one of my chicks has crossed beak and is 1/3 the size of the rest(not exaggerating) the girls are really good about putting her under them and under there wings and stuff. I live in north CA and the weather is about 45 in the day and 30 at night. It's suppose to rain off and on this whole week. Can I put them outside with the rain? I'm not doing a heat lamp, but I'm not opposed to heat pad.

By nine weeks old the chicks are fully feathered and can be outside without supplemental heat. Just make sure they have a dry place that shields them from the wind and rain. My chicks are about 10 weeks old now and have been out in a tractor since they were 5 weeks old. Just my preference; some people prefer to brood chicks a little longer than that.

By nine weeks old the chicks are fully feathered and can be outside without supplemental heat. Just make sure they have a dry place that shields them from the wind and rain. My chicks are about 10 weeks old now and have been out in a tractor since they were 5 weeks old. Just my preference; some people prefer to brood chicks a little longer than that. 
Even with the little one that still has some of her baby fluff? She's just starting to get her neck feathers...

Sorry this is my first flock ever...:) so I have two houses and they are attached by a run. Should I just have one house open with the run? Both houses open with the run? Locked in one house? The run has a solid roof, and one house is big enough to have all of them in it.

You'll want to move them into a single coop and keep them there a day and a night before letting them explore the run or outdoors. They may need encouragement the second night to get them into the coop, but if you get inside and call them in with treats, they will get the idea.

Leave the second coop available to them later on for egg laying. Or you could reserve the coop for a later addition of chicks to your flock. It would make integration much easier if the new chicks were to have their own coop.

You'll want to move them into a single coop and keep them there a day and a night before letting them explore the run or outdoors. They may need encouragement the second night to get them into the coop, but if you get inside and call them in with treats, they will get the idea.

Leave the second coop available to them later on for egg laying. Or you could reserve the coop for a later addition of chicks to your flock. It would make integration much easier if the new chicks were to have their own coop.
Thank you!! That makes a lot of sense!! I think I'll put them in tomorrow:)

goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom