8 day old chick can't get up on legs efficiently NOW LETHARGIC & LABO

Meadow lane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
:(Hello I am a newbie chicken raiser. We got 4 ameraucana chicks Apr 24. One chick called Buzzy seemed to do a major growth spirt over the weekend and I have notice over the last 3 days it just can't seem to get up on it's legs. It is like they are not strong enough to take his body weight. I try holding the chicks body weight to help it weight bear. It still waddles over to water and food. Is this normal or do I need to do something to help it gain strength, or is it hip problems??? Your feed back would be so appreciated

Last edited:
Thank you so much Sarafrog. I will try that as well as change newspapers to something else. Buzzy is similar to the straddle photos. WIll give this a try and let you know.

I just went to make the support system, but now I notice the chicks breathing appears laboured and his fuzz seems flat compared to the others. When I did up his legs he keep falling and since it is night here I am reluctant to leave him in the support with out me being able to supervise. Ahhh i am feeling sad.

Any other thoughs

Back
Top Bottom