8 day old chick - What breed is it - RIR ?

This is my chick now at 4 weeks , a brown leghorn I think,
Can anyone identify its sex please ?
Thanks
I do not think that it is a Brown Leghorn. It's body is much too heavy set to be a Leghorn. Whatever breed it is, it is definitely a male.

What breed do you think it is ?
I thought it had all the colourings of a leghorn ... And the brown coloured feathers in front I thought it was female ?
What aspects of it make you say it is a male ?
Thanks

Last edited:
What breed do you think it is ?
I thought it had all the colourings of a leghorn ... And the brown coloured feathers in front I thought it was female ?
I'm really not sure on the breed. I think that it is a mix, maybe with some Rhode Island Red or some other red bird.

I believe your bird is a male for several reasons. First, it has a large pink comb, even though it is only four weeks old. Second, those legs are REALLY thick, which also indicates a male. And, lastly, the coloring is splotchy on the wings and irregular throughout the body.

Heres a pic of rhode island red chick if this helps

This is my chick now ... At approx 12 weeks .... Still not sure if mail or female..... Or what breed..
I'm thinking a cross between rir and light sussex ... The black feathers on the neck .... No crowing though .....
Any ideas ? Thanks

This is my chick now at 4 weeks , a brown leghorn I think,
Can anyone identify its sex please ?
Thanks

You said the chick was hatched from a brown egg. Brown Leghorns lay white eggs. So, it wouldn't be a Brown Leghorn.

Do you have a better picture?

This is my chick now ... At approx 12 weeks .... Still not sure if mail or female..... Or what breed..
I'm thinking a cross between rir and light sussex ... The black feathers on the neck .... No crowing though .....
Any ideas ? Thanks

It looks like it could be a Rhode Island Red mix.

What breeds does your friend have? What breed of rooster does he have?

I think he has both, light sussex and rir.... But he is not sure what the eggs are from.
I thought the black feathers on the neck might be clue to someone ?
Any ideas about the sex ? .. Comb looks large but I don,t see any tail feathers, ,it's not crowing but feet look big ... So I all confused ?

Back
Top Bottom