8 eggs in the incubator

I'm still looking on egg weights. Will let you know when I find out some information.

I wish I knew how to candle. I will try to candle the guinea eggs. I had NO luck candling my Maran eggs, so I'll try again with the guinea eggs. I'll candle with you.

[COLOR=4B0082]kuntry, have you checked out[/COLOR] this thread[COLOR=4B0082]?[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]It's about candling chickens eggs, so the development timeline's will be off, but at least you get the general idea of what the veins and embryo development look like. Hope that helps![/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]And aren't Maran eggs super dark brown?[/COLOR]

I will check out the thread. And yes, the Marans are SUPER DUPER dark brown, so VERY hard for me to candle.

I set 41 mixed guinea eggs at 10 PM last night in my new homemade incubator. First test of it.

Wow that's a major trial run! Post some pics of your incubator!

I set 53 Guinea eggs on Saturday, but this is batch #12 for 2012
th.gif
I'm not expecting 100% fertility tho.

Last edited:
I set 41 mixed guinea eggs at 10 PM last night in my new homemade incubator.  First test of it.

[COLOR=4B0082]Wow that's a major trial run! Post some pics of your incubator![/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]I set 53 Guinea eggs on Saturday, but this is batch #12 for 2012 [/COLOR]:th [COLOR=4B0082]I'm not expecting 100% fertility tho.[/COLOR]

Why aren't you expecting 100% fertility? Does fertility percentages lessen as time goes by?

One of the flocks I'm collecting eggs from (and incubating about 30 eggs from in this batch) is my youngest flock, and there's a lot of aggression/tension in that pen/coop. I'm planning on increasing the pen size and also removing a few males from the flock, so maybe that will help mellow things out... but my to-do list keeps growing and I haven't gotten to that project yet. In the mean time fertility rate isn't real great, even if the eggs are really fresh.

Last edited:
I was candeling my duck eggs last night and I couldn't wait to see what was going on in the guinea eggs so I candled. I can see the most of the eggs have the red dot already.
yippiechickie.gif
They have only been in the bator since early Saturday morning and I can tell I have really good fertility. I think there were only 4 or less that did not show a red dot. Veining is minimal but I did see some on a few of the eggs.

All my duck eggs are fertile but one has a crack in it so I'll be tossing that one. The BLRW eggs are on day 5 and only two are fertile and the air sacks in them aren't great. If you remember my earlier post about those eggs I paid around 3.50 for each egg. So now I"m at about 20.00 for each egg. I put 30 of my own eggs from 5 month old roos in the bator on the same day I set her eggs and all but three of my eggs show veining. HOW in the world could I have gotten 12 eggs from this girl and only two are fertile??? I wonder if there was a roo even of breeding age in with the hens. I am going to recandle them in a few days and hopefully they are just slow starters. If now I really hope she replaces the eggs with fertile ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom