8 eggs in the incubator

Sorry, long busy crazy day for me, I haven't had time to read many posts!

Keets should stay in the 'bator until they are fully fluffed and dried, and even over night is fine, they can survive on the last of the yolk they've absorbed prior to hatching for 48 hrs easily, without needing food or water (think about shipped say olds). I usually wait until there are several dried keets to take out at once before I open the 'bator, otherwise the lonely keet will be really noisy, and plus you don't want to let out all the humidity and risk harming the other eggs (shrink wrap). I never take any keets out until I see that their feet and legs are working well and they are good and strong, the extra humidity helps that along.

Temp, humidity and unhealthy breeding stock can all cause weak, un-hearty keets, plus a million other reason. It's difficult to narrow down an exact reason when there are so many variables. I never pip an egg, and I try not to help keets out... if a keet is too weak to hatch on it's own then more than likely it's not gonna be a healthy keet, nor healthy breeding stock down the road once it matures. If it's stuck from drying out then I will help by moistening the membrane with a wet q-tip or mister bottle, but that's about all I will do. I've seen too many helped keets fail to thrive and or have leg foot issues that can't be fixed. I know it's hard to watch keets struggle and not help them, but it's better to let nature take it's course in most cases.

Last edited:
My broodys did a great job hatching the keets. I was out of town until very late yesterday and when I came home I checked on them. One of the broodys had settled down outside the nest box with her keets but one keet didn't come out of the nest and was cold a flat when I got home. It was still alive tho so I tucked it in my shirt as I checked on everyone else. There was also on chick that had tried to "Back" out of the egg thru a hole too small and was stuck with it's butt out and it's head inside the egg. Would have been funny but it too was cold. I brought them inside and put them in the bottom of my ReptiPro to see if they would warm up. This morning they were both up and running. I put them back out with mom and they are fine.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Well my hatch is over as of yesterday, nice mix of colors, but a disappointing hatch rate... [/FONT]I ended up with only 27 keets and one keet is iffy and struggling from a rough/late hatch and a resulting curled toe/foot problem. I've been trying to nurse it thru it, but I'm really busy and don't have much time to deal with a keet that wants to give up. I had of late quitter eggs this time and 3 keets died after just barely pipping for no apparent reason, I even lost one of my Chocolate keets due a mystery brooder death.

I already sold 10 of the 27 keets and didn't get a chance to get a pic of all 27 together before they left, but here's the remaining 17. I'll be keeping the 2 Chocolates and the Opaline... the others are already sold and will most likely be picked up by next weekend. Sold out of keets again!

Last edited:
[COLOR=4B0082]Well my hatch is over as of yesterday, nice mix of colors, but a disappointing hatch rate... [/COLOR][COLOR=4B0082]I ended up with only 27 keets and one keet is iffy and struggling from a rough/late hatch and a resulting curled toe/foot problem. I've been trying to nurse it thru it, but I'm really busy and don't have much time to deal with a keet that wants to give up. I had of late quitter eggs this time and 3 keets died after just barely pipping for no apparent reason, I even lost one of my Chocolate keets due a mystery brooder death.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I already sold 10 of the 27 keets and didn't get a chance to get a pic of all 27 together before they left, but here's the remaining 17. I'll be keeping the 2 Chocolates and the Opaline... the others are already sold and will most likely be picked up by next weekend. Sold out of keets again![/COLOR]
Absolutely beautiful !!!!!!!!!! :love

These are my final stats from my hatch:

9 hatched
2 zipped but didn't hatch. They died trying to come out of the shell.
5 did not fully form in the egg.
5 were not fertile.

9 hatched
5 were not fertile.

Wow kuntrygirl you did great!!!

My final numbers this hatch
1 hatched on its own and is still alive and well
5 pipped and I had to help all 5 out of the shell: 1 of those is still alive
The rest did not pip, I artificially pipped them and they were developed but were DIS.

My eggs were really small so I don't think the keets had a fighting chance to begin with. My biggest egg was just 32g and my smallest was like 23g. I think maybe I got pullet eggs???

I do have 12 more eggs in the bator that will go into lock down on Friday. These eggs are bigger so I'm hoping for a better hatch. If I don't get a better hatch with stronger keets I will know it is the conditions in my incubator that are causing the problems. Honestly I did not pay much attention to these eggs, I labored over my goose eggs and cooled an misted them. I had a 100 percent hatch with my goose eggs. I am going to mist and cool all my eggs from now on. I will be setting 24 of my own duck eggs tonight and will pay closer attention to my bator conditions.

Wow PEEPS those are beautiful keets!!! Where do you find your customers??? I'd love to be able to hatch out keets and sell them that fast.
bow.gif

Last edited:

9 hatched

5 were not fertile.

Wow kuntrygirl you did great!!!

My final numbers this hatch
1 hatched on its own and is still alive and well
5 pipped and I had to help all 5 out of the shell: 1 of those is still alive
The rest did not pip, I artificially pipped them and they were developed but were DIS.

My eggs were really small so I don't think the keets had a fighting chance to begin with. My biggest egg was just 32g and my smallest was like 23g. I think maybe I got pullet eggs???

I do have 12 more eggs in the bator that will go into lock down on Friday. These eggs are bigger so I'm hoping for a better hatch. If I don't get a better hatch with stronger keets I will know it is the conditions in my incubator that are causing the problems. Honestly I did not pay much attention to these eggs, I labored over my goose eggs and cooled an misted them. I had a 100 percent hatch with my goose eggs. I am going to mist and cool all my eggs from now on. I will be setting 24 of my own duck eggs tonight and will pay closer attention to my bator conditions.

You think that's good? Thanks! I thought it was horrible. :/

What size are the eggs that you will incubate this time? Did you weigh? It looked like a lot of the 46g eggs hatched.

I'm jealous of your goose eggs. CONGRATS !

I will be setting my pea eggs this week and I"m hoping for a miracle!!!!!!!!!!! I really want more peacocks and pea hens.

I think I got really lucky (being lazy) using the 2 broodys and getting 16 keets out of 20 set. We did lose 2 after they stayed in the nest and failed to follow mom to the other side of the pen. Everyone else looks great so far. Will turn them loose in the hen yards at about a wk old since the guineas don't stick as close to mom as the chicks do.

Back
Top Bottom