8 mo old hens never started laying

You mentioned they were all kind of skiddish. Maybe there is something upsetting them to the point where they aren't laying? Maybe there's a bold rat or possum that is getting in at night and eating the eggs? Sounds like the living quarters and food rations are fine.

I agree, not enough protein, but also too much calcium. Some switch to layer when POL is upon them, and that's tine, but these girls have been getting it for a while now, and not making eggs to use the calcium, which stresses their kidneys. Flock block is also low in protein.

I would go back to grower and supplement the protein. Scrambled egg, BOSS, canned mackerel, protein table scraps, whatever.

Later, when they start laying, you can give a little scratch as a treat. For 6 hens, I would give about 1/4 cup once a day at most.

You can also feed grower instead of layer after they start laying, but you would want to offer free choice oyster shell, too.

And I would stop the antibiotics.

Last edited by a moderator:
All very good advice, especially concerning the protein levels and calcium. Just curious if you've ever seen them squat for you? How do their combs look, still pink or a vibrant red?

Personally, I think its the combination of the low protein levels and shortage of daylight. Good news is, once you get the protein levels up, hens that take longer to mature and start laying tend to lay better for longer and have less issues such as being egg bound, internal laying, etc.

I have a similar situation --4 ameraucanas & 4 d'Anvers & 4 silkies who are all 8 months old now & are not laying. I had them on layer developer crumbles, and I've now added some freeze-dried mealworms as treats to boost protein.
I don't know what your latitude is for light, but try the added protein right away, and then work on the supplemental light if the protein alone doesn't help.
We're working on getting electrical wiring in the coop.

I had a friend who spent a winter on an island off the coast of Maine, and with no extra lighting, her hens laid all winter. Her secret: a constant supply of oysters off the beach, which she froze in the winter in the garage & thawed for her girls.
smile.png

1. scratch is a treat, not a feed. a handful a day at most, less is better, is all you need.
2. stick to one kind of feed, what brand are you feeding, it does make a difference
3 you are also feeding a lot of scrapes,(greens, veg, so on) that is also lowering your protein levels

raise your protein and add lights, on a timer a little at a time, up to 14 hours a day. Also do the butt test to see how close they are to laying, this doesn't involve putting you fingers in you hen
hmm.png
pick up your bird, hold it like a foot ball, raise the tail, find the 2 soft bones above the vent to either side, place your fingers between the bones, 1 finger not laying 4+ weeks till, 2 fingers soon or just about to start, starting, 3 laying a good layer. plus look at your hens vent is it long wide and soft (laying) or little round and hard (not even close)

hope this helps

laying in winter with out light, that depends on the breed, and is there a yard light or some other light source close, plus new pullets will lay longer in winter if the have just started to lay. if you do not have light on them

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice, really appreciate it!

Re Protein: I had thought that since they had free access to layer pellets that the total protein would be fine, but I'll try cutting out the scratch. The flock block (which was in there to help with pecking not as a primary food supply) hasn't been in there for at least two months since they ignored it anyway. The brand of feed I'm using is my local feed store's brand and it worked just fine for my previous hens - so assume it has what they need. I'll look at the grower mix and compare.

Re Antibiotics: They're on it because the chicken expert at my farm store suggested it - I'll go ahead and take them off of it today

Re light: About the light, I had heard that if you add extra light the overall health and egg laying years are reduced. Is that true?

Re squatting: I haven't seen it at all and they aren't trying to make a nest area anywhere - coop or run.

Re skiddishness: It seems to be about people - not a general behavior and they clam down quickly, just don't like being handled. The Speckleds that I had followed me around like a dog, these girls just seem shy - but I also work all day and don't spend hours with them except on the weekend so that may have something to do with it. I'll reset the rat traps and see if we come up with anything.

Re combs: They don't really have them - none of them do. Only feathers - photos below.

69829_orp.jpg

69829_hens.jpg

I've alway's used 14 hours of light, and even my old birds (4+) are still laying well, for there age. 3-4 eggs a week. I've got 1 mottled java that's laying 5 eggs a week and she close to 5. when the silly thing isn't broody LOL.
the secret with light is how you use it, not if. I put the extra light in the morning and at night the timer go' on at 5:30 in the morning and off at 7-8 all depends on when it get light outside, then 4:30 - 5:30 at night and off at 7:30. its the 5:30 and 7:30 that are the important part. I do it this way, because when it gets to be spring i can shut off the light when the sunlight returns, without disturbing the light patterns the hen are used to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom