8 mo old Jersey Giant Hen has Chronic Nasty Poop!

Jhura

Chirping
May 14, 2023
Hello, I posted about this a couple months ago and I can’t find the thread (so sorry). Anyway, my Jersey girl who just started laying a few months ago, is presenting with very bad watery poop, on the reg! Not one is good at all. For several months. She drinks a lot of water too.

So I’ve consulted with a vet, and working with her over the past few months we did; diet changes (not very strict), Corid for coccidia (stool test came back neg though), Toltrazuril, SMZ, Safeguard, probiotics, ACV, Hen Helper, colloidal silver…her comb is good, crop is eh-okay-not bad, belly feels okay, she’s still laying as well and eggs are good. She looks good too. She did come from a POS breeder so maybe genetics playing a part in her immune health?

So besides getting bloodwork, and sequestering her with a super strict diet for weeks, which will be hard…I don’t know what else to do? Should I deworm again? Get the bloodwork? What am I looking for? Pic of poop attached. And no one else has it but her.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8094.jpeg
    IMG_8094.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8009.jpeg
    IMG_8009.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
She could be drinking more water which is causing this. I have a hen as well that has had watery poop her whole life just because she enjoys drinking a lot of water. I wouldn’t fret too much as she is seeming to not be showing any outward signs of issues. I’ll @ some others to see what their take on this is. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
I thought that too…but what if it’s an underlying need for more water? Kidney issues? Or worms undetected?

If she is active, alert, eating and drinking, I would stop with all of the strong drugs you have been using. Give some probiotics 2-3 days a week, and keep her on a diet of balanced chicken feed and clean water every day.
We do this as well (the medication was only for its required treatment time)

Back
Top Bottom