8 month Austra white broody?

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
Our white Austra, Clover, has been in the nesting box all morning. She's pancaked down, and when I tried to stroke her she stuck her tail up and made a very strange trilling noise which I interpreted as BACK OFF! She's super friendly usually, though I normally leave them alone when they are in the nesting box. She did it again a couple of hours later. Could she be broody? When would I know for sure? We just had a couple of warm days after bitter cold, but there's a lot more cold to come (we are in southern CT). I was checking on her as yesterday we had an egg with no shell on it at all, so I've been keeping a closer eye on the girls to see if anything is up. If she is broody I have so many questions - we were planning on getting more chicks in the spring, but if she wants to sit I don't have the heart to stop her. Dad would be a Buff Brahma so I have no clue what the outcome would be 😂. Many thanks!

She has been there all day - she came out at 7 when I opened up but then went in and has not come out as far as I can tell. She’s totally splatted out and raises her tail if I put my hand near. She’s sleeping there tonight - didn’t screech but did a growl 😂

She has been there all day - she came out at 7 when I opened up but then went in and has not come out as far as I can tell. She’s totally splatted out and raises her tail if I put my hand near. She’s sleeping there tonight - didn’t screech but did a growl 😂
If you are going to set eggs, first let her sit for a few days without eggs under her, just to make sure she will be loyal. Good luck!

^^^^ is right! Many a time I have set too early, only for her to change her mind, then two days later - get serious... and I have no eggs to set.

Also - this is a great time, if you are unsure about the hatching eggs - or you want different breeds - to get day old chicks and slip them under her... I am so wishing for a broody hen at the end of March, when I have chicks coming.

Mrs K

If you are going to set eggs, first let her sit for a few days without eggs under her, just to make sure she will be loyal. Good luck!
I’m not sure what she has under her right now! She took Margo’s egg this morning so at least one. She seems pretty determined at the moment. Should I remove the eggs and return them later? Or if she’s started is it too late now?

Back
Top Bottom