8 month Austra white broody?

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
Our white Austra, Clover, has been in the nesting box all morning. She's pancaked down, and when I tried to stroke her she stuck her tail up and made a very strange trilling noise which I interpreted as BACK OFF! She's super friendly usually, though I normally leave them alone when they are in the nesting box. She did it again a couple of hours later. Could she be broody? When would I know for sure? We just had a couple of warm days after bitter cold, but there's a lot more cold to come (we are in southern CT). I was checking on her as yesterday we had an egg with no shell on it at all, so I've been keeping a closer eye on the girls to see if anything is up. If she is broody I have so many questions - we were planning on getting more chicks in the spring, but if she wants to sit I don't have the heart to stop her. Dad would be a Buff Brahma so I have no clue what the outcome would be 😂. Many thanks!

She has been there all day - she came out at 7 when I opened up but then went in and has not come out as far as I can tell. She’s totally splatted out and raises her tail if I put my hand near. She’s sleeping there tonight - didn’t screech but did a growl 😂
If you are going to set eggs, first let her sit for a few days without eggs under her, just to make sure she will be loyal. Good luck!

I would check around your feed store - if you can get chicks within 3-4 weeks - it will work. That is how long she would brood normally. They can often get chicks in earlier than small orders, because they are ordering large numbers, they ship better in the cold. But do order them, don't just pick up what is in the bins...that is when chicks get mixed up. (Well, you can just pick up chicks and it will work too, no big deal)

It is always fun to hatch your own eggs, but then you have a very good chance of 50% roosters - and the problem of what to do with them.

If you want pullets, order pullets, and put them under her. No need to worry about the weather, or how hot or cold they are, she will take care of all that. I had a hen bring 4 chicks through NEGATIVE 20 degrees one year, so cold that even me, (the queen of don't interfere) almost pulled them, but I didn't, and I was glad I didn't.

Longest 3 weeks ever - but so much fun...and if you were going to get chicks anyway...

I would not put more than 4-6 chicks under her, she is not that big. But 4-6 I would put to her with confidence.

Mrs K

^^^^ is right! Many a time I have set too early, only for her to change her mind, then two days later - get serious... and I have no eggs to set.

Also - this is a great time, if you are unsure about the hatching eggs - or you want different breeds - to get day old chicks and slip them under her... I am so wishing for a broody hen at the end of March, when I have chicks coming.

Mrs K

53680CAC-F484-4B98-AC5F-3EA01AD382DB.jpeg

Here she is - I have no idea what’s underneath!

No, wear a long sleeve sweat shirt, and pull the eggs out from under her. And keep doing that until you have enough on your counter to set. Then mark those eggs with marker - just an X and set all of them at once.

Every two or three days, using a towel, carefully remove her, and let her go terrorize the flock. Check to make sure that she has not added eggs to the bunch, or other hens have not added. Too many eggs - and the outer ring dies cause too cool, and then she moves them all around, and the 'new' outer ring dies... and get a very poor hatch rate.

If you want to set some of your own, and buy some chicks, you can do that if you match the hatch date with the arrival of day old chicks. Then if you want, you can get some new breeds, or if none or only one or two of your eggs hatch, you still have chicks.

Averages are funny - cause they measure overall, generally speaking, kind of, sort of there is a 50% hatch rate...some are better, some are worse. This summer, three times I set, with a pretty poor hatch rate. I think it was too hot. I have since read that if it is too hot, to use a wedge of grass and roots upside down, and dampened as bedding.

But my point is, if you really want chicks, then you might want to have a plan to get chicks if nothing hatches. (honestly, I am as excited for you as can be, good luck).

Mrs. K

Back
Top Bottom