8 month old hen, bumpy thin shells, getting calcium

MapleReach

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2016
Outside Portland, Oregon
Hi - Yes, another thread about thin-shelled eggs! We have a Black Australorp who is about 8 months old. Her first eggs (she hatched in late summer, started laying about 3 months ago) were very large, but her shells were chalky and bumpy and thin. Now the shells seem to be getting even thinner and nearly every day they're crushed and messing up the next box. We offer supplemental calcium and feed organic layer feed and they frequently have free run of our yard and garden (organic, lots of grubs and worms). Our other hens (Ameraucanas) are laying eggs that are hard as rocks.

The Australorp seems healthy in every other way. I've read this can be a problem in pullets -- so I'm wondering if, at 8 months old, this problem might still resolve or if we should be looking for some way to supplement her individually (in case she's not eating the supplemental calcium that's offered freely on the side)?

At what point should we look into a potential health problem? NOTE: We lost two pullets to dog attacks and a third was maimed (three separate visits, same neighbor dog), one lost in November and another a couple of months ago. I know stress can cause egg problems, but it's been several weeks and her eggs have never been "normal" and the 6-year-old hen who actually got attacked and survived (with stitches) is still laying.

Lots of things can cause poor egg shell quality. Genetics, disease, immaturity, and a temporary glitch in a new layer's reproductive system.

Oyster shell which is calcium carbonate can sometimes be hard for some chickens to adequately absorb, and a calcium supplement of a form easier to absorb and more concentrated is necessary. People calcium from the store that is either calcium citrate or calcium gluconate are easier to absorb. I use the petite size tablets of calcium citrate with vitamin D, which helps absorption, 400-500mg, one tablet per day right into the beak for several days until the egg shell quality improves.

I have a hen around four years old that has always had this problem. She gets calcium supplements from time to time when she produces thin shell eggs. Being on this concentrated calcium daily over long periods isn't good for her kidneys, but she gets a few doses whenever her eggs indicate a problem.

Some hens never improve while calcium supplements can often jolt a hen into proper absorption and no further problems come up. You just need to keep your fingers crossed that your hen has a temporary issue and calcium will correct it.

Hi - Yes, another thread about thin-shelled eggs! We have a Black Australorp who is about 8 months old. Her first eggs (she hatched in late summer, started laying about 3 months ago) were very large, but her shells were chalky and bumpy and thin. Now the shells seem to be getting even thinner and nearly every day they're crushed and messing up the next box. We offer supplemental calcium and feed organic layer feed and they frequently have free run of our yard and garden (organic, lots of grubs and worms). Our other hens (Ameraucanas) are laying eggs that are hard as rocks.

The Australorp seems healthy in every other way. I've read this can be a problem in pullets -- so I'm wondering if, at 8 months old, this problem might still resolve or if we should be looking for some way to supplement her individually (in case she's not eating the supplemental calcium that's offered freely on the side)?

At what point should we look into a potential health problem? NOTE: We lost two pullets to dog attacks and a third was maimed (three separate visits, same neighbor dog), one lost in November and another a couple of months ago. I know stress can cause egg problems, but it's been several weeks and her eggs have never been "normal" and the 6-year-old hen who actually got attacked and survived (with stitches) is still laying.
My girls would not eat the oyster shell out of the bowl I have it in, so every day I throw a handful on the dirt and they always eat it before they go to bed. I was having problems similar to yours, mine were laying soft shelled eggs. I also had to give a couple of my girls Tums. I also wash the egg shells and smash them up and throw them on the ground and they gobble them up.

Pulverize some oyster shell with a hammer and add it to her drinking water. You'll know within a week if it's a calcium deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom