8 month old with curled/flaccid toes

It looks like it is effecting her right foot more—is that correct? An injury might be possible. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency usually causes curled under toes, all of the toes normally. Sometimes Mareks disease can mimic riboflavin deficiency with curled toe paralysis in one leg. I am not sure that splinting the foot would help at her age when bones are fully formed, but might be worth a try if it is an injury.

Yes, this all just happened out of no where 5 days ago or so.:(

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice. I really appreciate it and will do everythibg you suggested.

I feel so bad for my girl.

This just suddenly came on? The toes have not been like that?
At 8 months old....

I would try wrapping the foot to get the toes straightened out so the top of the toes don't get sores, that may help her walk a bit better.
You can give her 1/2tablet of human B-Complex vitamins for a couple of weeks too. Or if you have something like Poultry Cell, give her a direct dose every day for 1 week. (1cc per 3 pounds of weight).
Riboflavin (B2) deficiency is a possibility, but since she doesn't seem to indicate pain, then I'm thinking the foot is numb(?) Could be that she has Marek's or some type of nerve damage.

The Bumblefoot does not look too bad. I would try to treating that with soaking in epsom salts, dry well, then apply Clear (Decolorized) Iodine. Wrap, then the next day see if the scab is loose so you can remove it - hopefully if there is a kernel of infection then it will come out with the scab. If the scab is not loose the next day with soaking/clear Iodine, then just repeat the process. Sometimes cutting the scab and kernel is needed, but since this is on a toe, the tissue is thin and she already has some foot problems, less "invasive" is best. You have time to work on it.

Thank you. My gut tells me it’s an injury and not an illness or infection.

I will try all of your suggestions.
Do you have a way to splint that you recommend? I’ve never had to before.

Would these boots work?http://www.hensaver.com/Birdy-Bootie.html

Am thinking it was an injury....think sprained ankle, stubbed toe.
I'd splint it and crate her for 'forced' rest.

Blurb for limping bird......isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.

Thank you! Her left leg/toes are totally fine.
If it is Mareks what other signs should I be looking out for?

It looks like it is effecting her right foot more—is that correct? An injury might be possible. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency usually causes curled under toes, all of the toes normally. Sometimes Mareks disease can mimic riboflavin deficiency with curled toe paralysis in one leg. I am not sure that splinting the foot would help at her age when bones are fully formed, but might be worth a try if it is an injury.

Sometimes you can use the foam meat packages from the grocery store to cut into shape for splints, and those can be doubled to reinforce. Other items can be used such as tongue depressors, and finger splints. Tape can be used to secure the foot and toes. Some use vet wrap cut into strips.

Mareks disease is caused by a virus, and can appear in many different ways. Curled toe paralysis, wry neck, weakness of a leg or wing, eye changes, failure to thrive, limping, and tumors can be signs of Mareks. Hopefully, that is not the problem, but here is a good article with info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Some links to see with toe taping methods:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/crooked-toe-disorder-treatment-chicks-poultry/

upload_2018-12-1_9-37-48.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom