8 month old with curled/flaccid toes

Good pics.
So the toes straighten out easily?
Do they spring right back to the curled position when you let go?
I'm guessing maybe a tendon issue...
....thinking a splint similar to what you put on chicks, flat base with toes taped to it.

Hard to say if that bumble is part of the issue or not, it doesn't look too bad IMO.
Bumbled toe does look swollen so maybe infection spread and is affecting tendons?

Does she indicate pain if you straighten the toes out?
Can she grip with them?

I don't think I've seen anything like that unless toes were broken.

It does look like some Bumblefoot on the back toe, hard to tell, it could be dirt(?)
Bumblefoot doesn't cause toes to curl up like that, "bumblefoot" is a term used for infection that has entered the foot - this can be from a cut, scrape, injury, irritated sking, etc.

I would try to straighten them out, she is going to get sores walking on the toes like that

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Vitamin b deficiency. I was getting these until I realized that the medication in chick food was a thiamin blocker, and I was getting them no matter who or what incubated the chicks. (We gave some eggs to others to incubate for us, from many breeds and incubator types.)
Anyways, as well as medicating food, a thiamin blocker blocks vitamin B, and lack of vitamin B gives curled toes. Once I started feeding unmedicated, the new generations never had any, but you can't really reverse curled toes.

Thank you! Yes, the toes straighten out easily. I wouldn’t say they “spring” back becausd they are so loose and flaccid. They just go back to being curled.

Good pics.
So the toes straighten out easily?
Do they spring right back to the curled position when you let go?
I'm guessing maybe a tendon issue...
....thinking a splint similar to what you put on chicks, flat base with toes taped to it.

Hard to say if that bumble is part of the issue or not, it doesn't look too bad IMO.
Bumbled toe does look swollen so maybe infection spread and is affecting tendons?

Can she grip with them?

It does look like some Bumblefoot on the back toe, hard to tell, it could be dirt(?)
Bumblefoot doesn't cause toes to curl up like that, "bumblefoot" is a term used for infection that has entered the foot - this can be from a cut, scrape, injury, irritated sking, etc.

I would try to straighten them out, she is going to get sores walking on the toes like that

Thank you so much. The spot on her toe doesn’t come off with my finger so I am guessing it’s Bumblefoot or maybe just a freckle?

She does not indicate pain when I straighten her toes out. She doesn’t grip AT ALL with them.

Can she grip with them?

Thank you. Can this happen in a 8 month old?

Vitamin b deficiency. I was getting these until I realized that the medication in chick food was a thiamin blocker, and I was getting them no matter who or what incubated the chicks. (We gave some eggs to others to incubate for us, from many breeds and incubator types.)
Anyways, as well as medicating food, a thiamin blocker blocks vitamin B, and lack of vitamin B gives curled toes. Once I started feeding unmedicated, the new generations never had any, but you can't really reverse curled toes.

This just suddenly came on? The toes have not been like that?
At 8 months old....

I would try wrapping the foot to get the toes straightened out so the top of the toes don't get sores, that may help her walk a bit better.
You can give her 1/2tablet of human B-Complex vitamins for a couple of weeks too. Or if you have something like Poultry Cell, give her a direct dose every day for 1 week. (1cc per 3 pounds of weight).
Riboflavin (B2) deficiency is a possibility, but since she doesn't seem to indicate pain, then I'm thinking the foot is numb(?) Could be that she has Marek's or some type of nerve damage.

The Bumblefoot does not look too bad. I would try to treating that with soaking in epsom salts, dry well, then apply Clear (Decolorized) Iodine. Wrap, then the next day see if the scab is loose so you can remove it - hopefully if there is a kernel of infection then it will come out with the scab. If the scab is not loose the next day with soaking/clear Iodine, then just repeat the process. Sometimes cutting the scab and kernel is needed, but since this is on a toe, the tissue is thin and she already has some foot problems, less "invasive" is best. You have time to work on it.

Am thinking it was an injury....think sprained ankle, stubbed toe.
I'd splint it and crate her for 'forced' rest.

Blurb for limping bird......isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.

Back
Top Bottom