8 month old with curled/flaccid toes

berkchicks

Songster
5 Years
Jun 29, 2018
Maryland
Please help! She has her two outside toes curled under but is walking fine.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Jersey Giant, 8 months, healthy weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is curling/bending backwards her outside toes on her right leg. The toes are completely flaccid and don’t respond to me trying to straighten them out. She is walking fine but the 2 toes are completely bent backwards.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 4 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No. There is a small spot which “could be”
Bumblefoot but I am not sure?

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes but today she seemed less active and sad.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing. Just extra love. I ordered some manna pro theracyn which should be here next week.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If I can help her, I want to help her. If I need to take her to the vet I will.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will get a picture tomorrow.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Coop with enclosed run, allowed to free range for a few hours a day. EcoFlake bedding.

Thank you! I will try the Nutri Drench!
I am feeding them Purina Layena pellets and she was from a feed store.
If it was a defiency, wouldn’t the other girls have issues too?

I raised hatches until they're about 6 - 8wks for a friend, one batch of chick (27) all was well until 3wks, one developed curled toes & couldn't get around. Lots of reading & thanks to BYC members, figure possible CTP (Curly Toe Paralysis) which is a Riboflavin deficiency (parents or feed). I had to separate it from the rest as it was getting trampled, started PolyVisol (w/out iron) but have since learned B Complex works too (sorry forgot about that). I'm not saying that's what your girl has just prefer starting off with vitamins. See what others have to say...

Forgot you can tape her toes straight, she's 8month JG so a big girl ... You can use VetWrap & make saddles for her, if it doesn't keep her toes straight, cut a piece of thin cardboard (cereal box) & tape with Vet Wrap to make a "shoe".

There's this website that's helpful info too .... https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Thank you so much for all of this information! Extremely helpful.

Is it common to have this defiency show up at this age?

Thank you again!!!

C1079CD5-E31A-445F-810E-438E8F0FE2B3.jpeg
649955AE-9B09-46D3-A286-AC27A08A3C8A.jpeg
A258E7D2-C977-4AC4-B947-634A9FB32EC2.jpeg
Ok here are some pictures. You can see the spot that may be Bumblefoot on her back toe. Does Bumblefoot cause the toes to curl up and be limp? The toes that are curled are NOT the one with that spot. That toe stays straight.

Back
Top Bottom