8 new baby EE's please I have temperature questions!

kimboolah

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin
This is our second batch of chickens this year--Our first batch is outside in the coop/yard 24/7 laying the most gorgeous eggs and doing beautifully.
I got this new batch a few days ago, and they are in the brooder under a heat lamp. I live in Northern Wisconsin and it was 31 degrees here last night. I know I will keep them in the house for at least 6 weeks, but after that it will be pretty dang cold around here---should I just plan to keep them outside during the day and round them up and keep them inside at night so they don't get shocked from the cold? Or just wait until they are fully feathered (no more fluffy butts, etc) and let them settle in?

Would it be better to put them out there sooner and see if someone wanted to be the "mamma" to them?

Thanks

How many chicks do you have? I have gotten chicks in October. I kept a heat lamp on them for their first month then I only kept a lamp on at night for another month. They put off quite a bit of heat. My first batch was 6 pullet chicks, my second batch was 21 (20 pullets, 1 Roo), my third batch was 25 pullets. They all did fine. My first set of chicks I kept in a brooder in the barn but did cover it. The others I put their brooder in a coop.

I have 8 new baby EE's inside in the brooder under the heat lamp (born just a few days ago) and outside I have 8 RIR, one black sexlink, one lace wyandotte, one silkie bantam and one baby giant cochin.

So today it's in the 70's and nice and warm in the sun. I think I will put them outside in the brooder in the run, so they can meet each other......

Back
Top Bottom