8 new birds and what did I get myself into!

lpyrbby

Songster
Oct 11, 2015
Holly Hill, South Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
I started out my chicken adventure with four 9 week old chicks. One was an obvious cockerel. A few weeks later, it became obvious that we had another. Those chicks are 18 weeks old now and they've finally been in the big coop for about a month now? Maybe? Anyway. I needed more hens. Built a temporary introduction pen and went on a hunt for older birds. Finding birds near laying can be tough. Came across an ad on Craigslist yesterday for someone selling 8 hens since he had a visit from code enforcement telling him they had to go. I really only wanted to add 6 right now but, what's 2 more? (Chicken math)

I get there today and we both worked together to catch them. It was stressful for all involved. Finally managed to get them home and get them into the introduction pen. I was concerned while we were catching them that some might be cockerels, but the breeds are some that are a gray area for me, that it was hard to tell. I've had another couple of friends go through the mass of photos and they believe that most, if not all, are pullets. Verdict is still out on a few of the breeds. The seller had no clue. He knew he had Barred Rocks and that's it. He had some GORGEOUS Light Brahma (I recognized them) but he said those were his roos and honestly, as much as I wanted one, it wasn't worth the risk.

Here's the thing. I don't *really* know what breeds I'm working with now. I'd like some opinions on both breed and if any stand out as cockerel.

*There are 8 birds total in question. Any birds seen beyond wire are my existing birds (Yes, I willfully ignored the QT period so please don't chastise. I'm well aware I'm taking a BIG risk.)
*There is one Barred Rock
*There appear to be 2 Easter Eggers (Big yay!!)
*There MIGHT be two golden comets (best guess)
*There MIGHT be a black sex link
*There is one black bird who is larger that I'm concerned MIGHT be cockerel. No clue on breed, but a bit larger than the others
*There is one white pullet that I have no idea on. Friend suggested Rhode Island White, so maybe.

Thoughts?

Barred Rock and ? Sex Link?

That's an EE to either side, behind, the white bird.

Comet front and center? Or Sex Link?

Barred Rock

Pay no mind to the onlookers lol

The EEs and the possible sex link

Any idea on breed on the ones towards the right?

Center bird, sex link?

Bird behind black, what is that? Comet? Sex link?

Comb shot of the larger black bird

Comet?

I am no expert, I been raising chickens for only a year now. But for me they're all pullets.

2 EEs?! The one on the left is definitely an EE, the one on the right looks more like a Golden Laced wyandotte.

The Red one looks like a Red sexlink(Production red)

And the black bird not sure but its not a black sexlink.

This is what i think, lets see what others have to say, please correct me if im wrong.

I think you need to let them settle in, they look very stressed, hot and thirsty. They had a rougher day than you - probably thought the "stranger" would kill them. When they feel secure again - they will be easier to photograph. We really need to see front views showing comb, and standing side profile to check for gender features etc.

I am no expert, I been raising chickens for only a year now. But for me they're all pullets.

2 EEs?! The one on the left is definitely an EE, the one on the right looks more like a Golden Laced wyandotte.

The Red one looks like a Red sexlink(Production red)

And the black bird not sure but its not a black sexlink.

This is what i think, lets see what others have to say, please correct me if im wrong.

We had someone come by to look at our old coop today to possibly buy and he mentioned GLW. Googling images, could be. I think I've seen some EE that color too. Either way, the GLW works since I have a BLRW cockerel. I'm pleased with the prospect of *actually* getting all pullets from this deal. I can live with that :) Thanks!

I think you need to let them settle in, they look very stressed, hot and thirsty. They had a rougher day than you - probably thought the "stranger" would kill them. When they feel secure again - they will be easier to photograph. We really need to see front views showing comb, and standing side profile to check for gender features etc.
Yep, we ALL were super stressed. And it was hot as ever today. I set up the mister for them but that only worked so well by the time we got it set up. I promise I'm trying to give them their space. They settled quite a bit by the time the evening rolled around at it got cooler.

Let's see if I have better photos tonight (probably not lol). Mainly curious on breed guesses here. I'm fairly certain they're all pullets.

Subjects A (White) and B (Black)

Subject C (black) - I've dubbed her Black Betty. The PVC roost is about 12" tall, for reference. 1" pipe.

Subject D - GLW?

Subject E

Subject F (Gold/red bird with white "collar")

Center front

Thanks for any input!

A looks like a white Rock. Pics of the legs would help, but the larger, sturdy body shape says Rock to me.
B could be a Dark Cornish, does she have a pea comb?
C looks like an Australorp
D looks like a gold laced Wyandotte
E is a production Red
F is a red sex link.

A looks like a white Rock. Pics of the legs would help, but the larger, sturdy body shape says Rock to me.
B could be a Dark Cornish, does she have a pea comb?
C looks like an Australorp
D looks like a gold laced Wyandotte
E is a production Red
F is a red sex link.
B has been determined to be a Dark Cornish. No pea comb unless it's REALLY insignificant. Because her comb is insignificant lol.
C we're pretty sure Australorp as well. She has white feet bottoms. If she were JG, they'd be yellow.
D I'm now in agreement is a GLW
E and F, those were my first thoughts but I'm still having trouble finding any info to confirm one way or another. I DO know that E is Miss Piggy (guess that's gonna be her name now lol) because she is ALWAYS first at the feed dish when I refill.

Now, to subject A again. One of the sites I came across noted that White Rocks have pea combs, and this girl doesn't have one. BUT, considering all the other hens are brown egg layers, it makes more sense for her to be one.

Back
Top Bottom