8 pullets, 3 layers

ShannaES

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Newhall, California
I have 8 pullets ranging 36-42 weeks. Two are in a "soft" molt and stopped laying, 3 others are laying. 42 wk old Dark Brahma & 36 week old Barnevelder & Welsummer never started laying. Any chance that the freeloaders will lay before spring? Currently feeding 17% grower feed with with oatmeal 3x a week & a bit of Grubblies. Los Angeles county

Do your laying pullets have a source of calcium?

Grower feed is a good choice if you have some oyster shell available for those building shells.

Your malingerers may begin laying once winter solstice passes. The determinant is if days

Do your laying pullets have a source of calcium?

Grower feed is a good choice if you have some oyster shell available for those building shells.

Your malingerers may begin laying once winter solstice passes. The determinant is if days are getting longer.
Oyster shell is available at all times. I'm a little surprised to have 3 that still haven't laid at this age.

I'm not entirely surprised since they were reaching point of lay when daylength was decreasing rapidly. Diminishing day length is a signal to shut down

I'm not entirely surprised since they were reaching point of lay when daylength was decreasing rapidly. Diminishing day length is a signal to shut down production.

I'm not entirely surprised since they were reaching point of lay when daylength was decreasing rapidly. Diminishing day length is a signal to shut down production.

I guess I didn't expect to have only 3 sporadic layers their first winter at almost a year old (esp since we get more sunlight hours than most). I'll have to work on my patience between the molting girls and a couple late layers. Thank you for the replies

Some breeds are slow to lay.

I've got a freeloading OE who was hatched on Easter and still hasn't laid an egg to the best of my ability to figure out.
I expected the Dark Brahma and Barney to be slow to lay but the Welsummer has looked ready to lay for months. The molting girls also threw me a bit since they were my best layers. Oh well, luckily they still provide tons of entertainment, lol

Back
Top Bottom