8 straight runs... now 8-9 weeks old... 7 likely roosters?!?

Thank you all. I think all but the Brahma are boys.
What makes you think the Showgirl may be a girl?
It has spikes on the comb (since week 6) and curly tail feathers this week. I’d love to be wrong. 😆
Oh & Showgirl and Ayam Cemani were the first to challenge & chest bump each other. Polish now does it too. The four guys don’t fight though, so hopefully they can live celibate lives together as my roo crew!

(The only ones I thought could be girls were the light colored Silkie (until the comb turned purple this week) and the blue Silkie beside it (flat comb, but U shaped like a boy) but no tail at one week says boy to me. (The other silkies had tails at one week, so maybe it means nothing with silkies?!)
If you all are fairly sure that my silkies are boys, then I’ll move them in with the roo crew now so they all grow up happily together.

Is a bantam Cochin roo big enough to protect hens from hawks? (A hawk killed a pullet yesterday at noon when we were home. My daughter saw it.) Or should the Ayam Cemani be my guard guy? Hmmm. Maybe both? Two Roos with 13 hens? (The silkies & Polish as a bachelor group of five in a separate coop/run.)

I only raise silkies, and from my experience, after a while you can just tell whose a cockerel. The first black is a pullet, the black showgirl is a pullet, and the other two are cockerels.
Okay, so I guessed opposite of that! (Just based on those spikes on the combs.)
The two blacks (showgirl and reg Silkie) do chirp/sing to themselves. Ahh! I’d love to have some Silkie hens in my main flock. Thank you!

Is a bantam Cochin roo big enough to protect hens from hawks? (A hawk killed a pullet yesterday at noon when we were home. My daughter saw it.) Or should the Ayam Cemani be my guard guy? Hmmm. Maybe both? Two Roos with 13 hens? (The silkies & Polish as a bachelor group of five in a separate coop/run.)
He will be able to alert, but not really protect.

I can never be sure from just pics because you really need to observe how they behave. Pretty darn sure the Lav is a cockerel though. The showgirl doesn't seem to have any cockerel traits, just looks like a pullet to me. I've found silkie pullets get their crest in faster, and it's placed higher on their head. The males get these spikes from the back of the head at this age and when the crest is all the way in you will see streamers. (That's what I'm seeing on your blue bird). On your birds it will be a while till they get their full crest in so streamers are not a good way to sex them at this point. The trickiest one for me is the black, but I think there is a very good chance she is a pullet.

I just put the silkies all together so I can compare them better and so if the Blue and Lav are boys, then they'll grow up with the boys. So far they are just all staring at each other. (The four silkies, polish, and ayam are in the chicken tractor together.) The polish pulled a few feathers on Blue, but that's it. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon enough. I'll move out any hens and put them with the sexed pullets and their cochin body guard (he's just so teeny and was getting pushed around by the big boys, plus he's the friendliest chick I've got, so I want him in the main flock, if possible, with the Ayam Cemani as the leader). I hope the birds go along with my plans. ha ha

Am I correct on the colors? Or is Lav a white? And Blue a black? (Lav was more gray, not yellow as a little chick. Blue was much lighter as a chick too. Their baby pics are the last photo in the original post.) They'll need names soon, so I don't want to get their colors or genders wrong before naming them. Thank you so much!

I didn’t know that. Thank you!
my daughter wanted a white one. We ordered a white Silkie from the hatchery (it came as a yellow chick but died after arrival from traveling injuries, we think. Ruptured air sac) Thus our going to a local breeder and buying more silkies!
This was grey so I thought it was lavender. We are happy with whatever color though!

Back
Top Bottom