8 week chicks not growing!!

chickeneyfoot

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 17, 2011
I have 13 babyies that are 8 weeks old. I feed them flock raiser(puryna).
They r austr,red-sexs,blueaund,leghors,and ees.

They are half the lenth of my bantam ees but, same height.
I feel like they are growing very slow. they've been off the light for 2 weeks..

Try CHICK STARTER FEED , Has all the right stuff till 12wks. Then GROWER till they start laying, then layer feed...

A few questions:

How big is their area?
What's the temperature range in their area day and evening - from high to low (should be roughly 60F at night)?
Are they free-feeding?
Are you providing any electrolytes?
How's their water intake?
When did you put them outside?
Have they been dewormed?

Quote:
feed them medicated chick starter. that feed could be to high in somthing stunting ther growth.

The shop ran out gotta wait for 2 more weeks. And flock is all they have

Mostly that sounds okay, does their pen have a shade? I'm concerned about the size of your pen though - a 4 x 7 isn't big enough for 13 birds - that's 2 feet per bird. Deworming can stunt them temporarily, but they should rally pretty quickly if done correctly. The night temps are a little low, but as long as they were fully feathered they should acclimate, though that may also slow them down for awhile.

You can try a green light to encourage growth in their coop at night, a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening or even a green tarp or roofing over their pen.

I think the run is fine. I have a roosting bar in there so they roost too. What does green lights do?

The general space allowance for standard sized birds is generally considered to be:

outdoor run - minimum 4 square feet per bird
inside the coop - minimum of 2-3 square feet per bird

Green light encourages birds to eat and move, both of which encourages muscle growth.

Back
Top Bottom