8 week old Australorp with vent so scarred it has shrunk- please help

karalee

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
May 16th my 8 week old hen Velvet got pecked by her 9 brothers and sisters. Her vent and underbelly was so bad that it looked like raw meat. I brought her inside to a box with pine shavings. I sprayed it three times a day with Vetericyn and she was recovering nicely, even getting new feathers, until the 27th when she started making "distress" noises when she pooped. I soaked her behind in warm water until I could see her whole vent was scabbed over. I got it opened, and put Neosporin on it. She was able to go but kept making the noises like it hurt. She has scar tissue around her vent, leaving her a hole I can just get a Q tip in. My worry is that even if she gets able to poop without pain, what will happen when she starts to lay eggs? I have gotten very attached to Velvet, I want to help her but I don't know what else to do. She stays in her box at night and is out in a mobile run during the day. She has a good appetite and acts fine until she has to "go". I don't care if she never lays eggs, is there anything to stop her from producing eggs? Is she a lost cause? Would I be showing her more love to put her out of her misery now? I know she is in pain and there are times she strains and cries and still nothing comes out. I am new to this and want to do what's best for her. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

OMG I am sooo sorry.
It is hard to tell if she is screaming cause when when goes that scab is tearing at the skin or is there internal damage.....I have not delt with this so i will BUMP ya in hopes someone else has.
But if it was me...Every time you check and clean her bottom, I would take a Q tip and dip it in oil (olive oil) and rub that around and a little bit in the vent. You can also put molasses in the water, it acts like a laxetive for chickens.....I don't know if this will help, but it is worth a try.
hugs.gif

Thanks for the help, got the molasses and she is going easier now. Just taking this one day at a time. Thanks again.

So far so good. She keeps eating and the molasses seems to be helping. Any ideas about how to keep her from laying? I realize this seems like a very strange thing- I hope she never lays an egg- Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom