8 week old Blue Breasted Brown Leghorn Pullet?

Verykeriann

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Hello everyone! Long time creeper, first time poster here 😊 I went yesterday and purchased 7 new additions to the family. They're all "supposed" to be 8 week old pullets, but my blue breasted brown leghorn has me a little nervous. She has small legs, and her mannerisms are that of a pullet, but her comb (although more peach than red) is very large compared to the other pullets. I already have 2 adult roosters that I love, and with a flock of 23 hens, I won't be able to support another roo, so I'm hoping and praying that maybe the comb doesn't mean anything. There's not a lot of info online about blue breasted brown leghorns, but I figured if there were any help to be found, it'd be here 😊 Thank y'all in advance for any help y'all can offer!

20230629_181859.jpg
20230629_181650.jpg
20230629_181536.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. I don't know how the breeder didn't see it right off too 😕 Thank you for replying!
Well hold on a second.

Leghorn hens notoriously have large combs. I see zero wattle development on this one, which usually comes hand in hand with a large comb on a cockerel.

I wouldn't get your hopes up yet - make specific feathering and crowing are the two attributes that a cockerel can't hide. Once you confirm either of those, then you can be sure.

Edit: MALE specific, not make specific

Last edited:
I guarantee that's a cockerel.
With that variety the sexes have different patterns and that's the male pattern.

I reckon just to update, he is indeed a little roo. I tried to integrate my young ones in with the older flock last week and he instantly took to fighting with one of my 2.5 year old roosters. I rehomed him, and while in was in the transport box I heard him crow for the first time 😖 No white eggs for me this year.

TL;DR - It's a boy

I reckon just to update, he is indeed a little roo. I tried to integrate my young ones in with the older flock last week and he instantly took to fighting with one of my 2.5 year old roosters. I rehomed him, and while in was in the transport box I heard him crow for the first time 😖 No white eggs for me this year.

TL;DR - It's a boy
That's a bummer. Hope you get some next year.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't know how the breeder didn't see it right off too 😕 Thank you for replying!

Back
Top Bottom