8 week old Blue Breasted Brown Leghorn Pullet?

Verykeriann

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Hello everyone! Long time creeper, first time poster here 😊 I went yesterday and purchased 7 new additions to the family. They're all "supposed" to be 8 week old pullets, but my blue breasted brown leghorn has me a little nervous. She has small legs, and her mannerisms are that of a pullet, but her comb (although more peach than red) is very large compared to the other pullets. I already have 2 adult roosters that I love, and with a flock of 23 hens, I won't be able to support another roo, so I'm hoping and praying that maybe the comb doesn't mean anything. There's not a lot of info online about blue breasted brown leghorns, but I figured if there were any help to be found, it'd be here 😊 Thank y'all in advance for any help y'all can offer!

20230629_181859.jpg
20230629_181650.jpg
20230629_181536.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. I don't know how the breeder didn't see it right off too 😕 Thank you for replying!

That's what I was afraid of. I don't know how the breeder didn't see it right off too 😕 Thank you for replying!
Well hold on a second.

Leghorn hens notoriously have large combs. I see zero wattle development on this one, which usually comes hand in hand with a large comb on a cockerel.

I wouldn't get your hopes up yet - make specific feathering and crowing are the two attributes that a cockerel can't hide. Once you confirm either of those, then you can be sure.

Edit: MALE specific, not make specific

Last edited:
There's not a lot of info online about blue breasted brown leghorns,
This is because it isn't really a recognized breed variety - atleast in the US. Folks will often mix birds together, and give them a name like this. Or hatcheries will try a run of something and realize the attributes are too hard to replicate consistently. This is how the infamous Easter Egger was born.

I think there was one hatchery I saw that offered them last season, Privett.

@BastyPutt That's encouraging, thank you! I'll take any hope I can get at this point! She (🤞) has almost no wattles showing at this point and she's one of the most docile of the seven pullets. I had never heard of the breed either up until I was looking through the website. I just wanted to add a white egg layer to the flock, and something other than a brown bird (after 2 years of almost 15 Golden Comets), lol. I'll definitely keep the thread posted on any developments, maybe it can help someone else down the line with the same questions 🙂

@Paz I don't have another leghorn unfortunately. With this group I have 2 Marans, a Legbar, a Faverolle, an Olive Egger, a Lavender Wyandotte, and the Blue Leghorn. The Leghorn has the biggest comb so far, but the Olive Egger and one of the Marans have larger legs and (attitudes), while mostly being the same size otherwise.

So we're at 12 weeks old at this point and I'm still not 100%. Most days I'm leaning roo, but I'm still hoping against hope for a tomboy 😅 Figured I'd post some pictures incase anyone else has questions for their leghorn in the future. I'm still waiting for a crow or an egg, but Prince(cess) is still fun to watch in the meantime

Attachments

• Snapchat-1416599858.jpg
    Snapchat-1416599858.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Snapchat-602964865.jpg
    Snapchat-602964865.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Snapchat-1098573457.jpg
    Snapchat-1098573457.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 38
I guarantee that's a cockerel.
With that variety the sexes have different patterns and that's the male pattern.

Back
Top Bottom