8 week old chick(en) acting sick

madvad

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Long Island, NY
This my first post, but I've been reading for awhile now. During the day I let my birds roam in my backyard and I noticed one of the birds was acting strange. She would be off to a side, feathers ruffled, head drawn in, dozing, not eating or scratching. This is my first flock so I had to confirm that this behavior is not normal, based on my reading here and elsewhere. My problem now is trying to diagnose the issue and help if I can.

I separated the bird, not much poo, if any overnight. I examined her beak and comb, however small, both look ok. Feet look ok as well. I change the bedding every two/three days. Today she's acting the same, perhaps a bit better, pecking around in the yard and ate a bit as well. But her poop is brown, which based on all the wonderful chicken poo photos that I've seed, would lead me to believe it's diarrhea. I fed them yogurt with cayenne pepper and added apple cider vinegar to the water.

Attached are some pictures of the bird. Any ideas on what's wrong or what to do next?
And my yard is mostly grass, this one prefers to roam on the pavers
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Have you looked up cocci,always my first guess when chicks start acting tired,fluffed feathers and have runny poop. If you feel it might be cocci,purchase Corid(amprol) Dosage for Corid powder is - 1/2 per gallon of water, Corid liquid - 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,give vitamins after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom