8 week old chick with bad leg attacked by others

She is getting stronger and feeling good! It had to have been malnourishment and vitamin deficiency.
24993173_10156820948660828_2692627135701777774_n.jpg

She is getting stronger and feeling good! It had to have been malnourishment and vitamin deficiency.

Lookin' good! :wee

Wish I could be confident as you are about it being a vitamin deficiency. Lots of birds survive Marek's.

So keep your eyes open in the next few weeks for any to show symptoms. And I did remember the supplements that showed the best improvement for Marek's or deficiency was Vitamin E and Selenium.

Wish I could disagree with @rebrascora about gender thoughts... but his whole face does look red so maybe it's just flushing. :hmm

I can't see the wound, but that is looking like a nice recovery! :thumbsup

How do you know it's a he? My girlfriend is not convinced. It is a mixed breed. Her chickens are half wild except for the 10 that are the same age as this one. She raised them and did a great job domesticating them.

A red comb at that age is the usual sign of a cockerel, plus he is getting red patches on his wings which is another male indicator.
Did she hatch them from eggs or get them as chicks?

They were hatched by a hen in her coop. She took them and raised them herself. The chicks don't survive very well unless they're taken, at her place. There were 5 more that hatched that she left with their momma but only one survived. The other 4 disappeared. Presumably eaten by a snake. No feathers anywhere.

Do you think the red comb could be from the B vitamin shot we injected into her/him when she/he was weak?

Back
Top Bottom