8 week old chick with milky eyes, very limited vision

She is a bottomless little thing, though! She is always hungry and thirsty, it seems. Making up for plenty of stolen meals.
I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there!
Have you weighed her to see if she's actually gaining weight?
It's good that she seems to be eating/drinking on her own, but always seeming hungry/thirsty, she may need to be tube fed at least once a day to ensure that she's getting enough.
Is her crop full every night before she goes to sleep?

Thank you for your message really :love glad she is an indoor pet and she's fine, despite all ;)
Unfortunately my giada caught a respiratory virus. She was old, so she kept it in a worse form and died, it was so sad:hit

Im saying this because i hadnt the time to discover tricks to manage bette her food and drink, and i cant share this tricks with you. Sorry:(

Last edited:
I'm sorry; she squirms a lot! Also, it seems to have added them too many times. Please let me know if you need me to try again. Thank you!!!
IMG_20191111_220818.jpg

IF it's cataract (but i'm not sure), it can be caused by injury, vitamin A deficiency, continue exposure to the light, dust, or ammoniaca in the coop

i hope that someone that know more will arrive in this 3d soon :pop
Really! Vitamin A. We have so much dust, that if it were that, I would expect to have seen it before. But, vitamin A. I will supplement! I guess it is not reversible though?

Hello! I have a cuckoo marans hen that hatched two chicks about 8 weeks ago. One of the chicks has always looked smaller, and kind of puny. About a week ago, I noticed that the small chick's eyes are milky and bluish. She has to search to find food and water, often missing. I don't know if her eyes have always been this way, or if this is a developing condition.

Neither mom not sibling show any sign of illness. This chick is energetic, and shows no other sign of trouble, except for the small stature. I have never seen this in my flock before.

Any suggestion as to what could have caused this, and if it can be reversed? All input will be welcomed! Thank you!
Can you please post some photos of the eyes?

I'm sorry; she squirms a lot! Also, it seems to have added them too many times. Please let me know if you need me to try again. Thank you!!!View attachment 1957405
That's interesting.
I wonder if she may have been poked in the eye with some wire or something. Oh, are BOTH eyes like that? Possibly genetic, I don't know.
@Eggcessive knows more about various eye conditions, hopefully she will be on soon.

I have wondered if it could be a deficiency of some sort? Some mineral she doesn't get?

IF it's cataract (but i'm not sure), it can be caused by injury, vitamin A deficiency, continue exposure to the light, dust, or ammoniaca in the coop

i hope that someone that know more will arrive in this 3d soon :pop

Really! Vitamin A. We have so much dust, that if it were that, I would expect to have seen it before. But, vitamin A. I will supplement! I guess it is not reversible though?

i don't know... i'm giving carrots for example, to Giada, because of the cataract.
but i'm not seeing improvement (...i think in her case it's because she's 6 years old. your case is very different)
Waiting for other answers, i'm very interested! :pop

Has the chick much difficult to eat and drink? she would have a personal place in the coop with food and drink (always in the same place) ;)

Back
Top Bottom