8-week old chicks--any hints of their sex?

sstielst

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Hi-
I know it may be a bit early but I'm curious if anybody can make a good guess about whether these 2 chicks are hens or roosters? Would more/different pictures help?

Many thanks!
Sorrel
chicks.jpg

If they are the same age my guess would be the one on the lft is a cockerel and the one on the RT a hen. The thicker legs and more developed comb seem to point to that any way.

I forgot to mention that I started out with 5 chicks (all from the same mom) and 3 have died. They all got fowl pox (I think) and the one on the right was exrtra sick before it recovered whereas the one on the left was always pretty resilient. The smaller one is catching up in size every day so I had been attributing the size issue to the past illness. Does that info make any difference?

Thanks!

No, they aren't bantams. Those poor things were sick from a few days after I got them until just a week ago. They really had to fight to stay alive (and their 3 siblings didn't make it).

I got them from a nearby farm and the farm has no problems with its chickens. So it was very strange. Mine got super sick in our suburban setting--big fungal growths on their faces (fowl pox?) and then total weakness where they just wasted away, despite my trying to feed them with a dropper, etc. The ones that survived I think are stunted. Very sad for me (and for my 2 kids). This is our first try with chicks and I think next time I'll get sexed and vaccinated chicks.

Now if one is boy, we'll have ti give him back to the farm and we'll only have 1 chicken left!

Oh well, hopefully I'll have better luck next time!
Thanks for all your opinions...

Quote:
Even with sexed chicks there is still a 10% chance that the sexers at the hatchery get it wrong, unless you order sex links. As for vaccainations, the only one that I know of given at the hatcheries is for Marek's (experts correct me if I'm wrong). Other vaccinations you have to do yourself or get someone (the vet, maybe) to do for you.
The one on the left in the pic does look like a cockerel to me. Maybe the farm will let you trade him out for another pullet? One chicken will get very lonely.

I will definitely get a couple more hens so the one isn't lonely--we're allowed to have 3 where I live. And luckily the farm will take back the male and not kill him.

Back
Top Bottom