8 week old chicks + broodies bullied when trying to roost and gender thoughts bantam RIR?

BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 broody’s still caring for 3 bantam RIR chicks . Last weeks the broody’s and chicks wanted to roost with the flock. Just 4 bantams now. But two of them (highest in rank) get real bullies when they are settling and after a while they go back to the nest box to sleep.

In the compartment (old coop) where they sleep there is a small area with low roosts. They don’t want to sleep on these roosts.

I’ve been thinking what I could do to let them roost.
  1. make a higher roost in the old small coop, hoping they roost there and see whenever the other chickens allow the broodies and chicks on the roosts in the larger coop.
  2. Put the broodies and chicks in the larger coop after its dark.
  3. Close the small coop in the evening before sunset.

Maybe there is another solution?
What would you do?

3E36EE2A-C0A6-41AE-AC30-B5CD2F7FEAF9.jpeg

Two of the chicks, now 8 weeks.
Anyone an idea if these are cockerels or pullets?

FD68DFCC-D48B-48CE-A67F-16C234CC5BFB.jpeg

The broodies with their chicks a couple of weeks ago.

9A0D78E8-146F-4FFF-A0A0-C7583355243A.jpeg

The chicks practicing to roost on the roosts where the flock sleeps.

799FE858-626E-48A2-B45B-80CEAC91F325.jpeg

The flock of 4 bantams.

I would let them work it out. Once the youngsters are put in their place to the satisfaction of the older birds, everything will calm down.

It sounds like they are already integrated? Not their reintroduction? You said they "wanted" to as if they had a choice (not lovked up or separated). If it was their reintro. after having been separated for awhile, there are steps you can take to help it go more smoothly, but if they have already been together, let nature take its course.

Thanks mntboomer!
The chick are integrated since 2-3 weeks old. This went great. The broodies were very protective. And now they go their oen way some of the time.. Especially the male chick.
The chicks (mostly the one with the red comb ) get a peck if they are too greedy, but there are no troubles.

F1ECBE04-8DB2-4FDD-925B-1D2DD3A5BC29.jpeg
I just had a reaction of the seller of the fertilised eggs. He said the two above are probably pullets. But the one below is definitely a cockerel.
A3342A86-B785-43FD-97C6-03907C380B3F.jpeg

I would let them work it out. Once the youngsters are put in their place to the satisfaction of the older birds, everything will calm down.

It …,
The problem is, they seem to stopped trying to roost with the adults. And bc they are 8 weeks / I know they can roost I would like them to try harder.

But you’re probably right about letting it go. I did make high roosts now in the small coop. Maybe they will roost there.
Otherwise It’s probably best to wait for the broodies to quit caring . And maybe the chicks will follow after them.

A nasty :he thing happened last Sunday. I woke up very early in the morning and heard the chickens making a strange disturbing noise.
So I went out to check what was going on and found a fox in the run. Most chickens where still in the coop. I gues the automatic pop door just opened.

One chicken down 😢 but lucky there where no more casualties.
I found the hole and repaired it.
One poor chick was very frightened and was hiding all day long.

Somehow this incident must have
triggered the broodies to roost with the chicks once more and not give up. Maybe it was easier because there was a vacant spot. Now they all sleep together in the roosting area in the coop extension.

P.s. The chicken that died was the pyle (white/crème coloured) in the picture above. She was one of my 6 years old bantams and had a good life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom