8 week old hurt leg and now is falling forward on face

Caraghsian

Hatching
Nov 20, 2021
Hey so my chicken somehow hurt himself overnight a few weeks ago and have a severe lino which has got worse. He sits with his leg forward and it hurts him to hold him now. I can't feel any breaks or swelling which is odd. He now can lightly use that foot to break a fall( he uses his wing also) but he can only stand on the toes and often falls on his face. I don't know if it's a clue that he can only stand on toes. And I'm not sure if the balance gone bad is a result of this or this is part of the development of the issue. It's really quite bad and he is in a lot of pain

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_060733.jpg
    IMG_20211130_060733.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211129_172823_1.jpg
    IMG_20211129_172823_1.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 1
Hey so my chicken somehow hurt himself overnight a few weeks ago and have a severe lino which has got worse. He sits with his leg forward and it hurts him to hold him now. I can't feel any breaks or swelling which is odd. He now can lightly use that foot to break a fall( he uses his wing also) but he can only stand on the toes and often falls on his face. I don't know if it's a clue that he can only stand on toes. And I'm not sure if the balance gone bad is a result of this or this is part of the development of the issue. It's really quite bad and he is in a lot of pain
Hmmm. I don’t have many clues, and I don’t think it’s merek’s.
These people should help better: @Overo Mare @azygous @Eggcessive @MysteryChicken

Is vet care an option?

It would be good to have an xray to see if anything is broken and can be repaired.

You mention this happened a few weeks ago and is getting worse, he's in a lot of pain. I'm sorry to say, it may be time you put the poor thing out of his misery.

I'm afraid those symptoms are from an avian virus such as Marek's or leucosis. Was this chick brooded by a broody hen by any chance? Did you buy the chick from a private party rather than a hatchery or feed store?

What is your location, please? It can help us to help you when it comes down to finding meds to treat.

If you can get some vitamin E and B-complex, these might be able to help if the cause is a vitamin deficiency. Give a half a tablet of B-complex each day along with a vitamin E capsule directly into the chick's beak. These may help repair damaged nerve connections.

So, is he using the other leg just fine? Also, check the muscles of the leg that's causing problems? Take the leg, & push towards the body, & see if is able to push back?

Are your chickens meat birds? Mareks disease is a possibility, but if they are meat birds, they are usually at the age to butcher @6-8 weeks. After that leg issues can be a problem. I would give the vitamins a try if they are not meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom