8 week old keet...dead:/

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
I got 26 keets from ideal 8 weeks ago. I lost 2 of the pied the first week. They were wobbly and couldn't walk well. The rest have been thriving and nothing seemed to be wrong with any of them this morning. Tonight I had a dead pearl. I felt it's body and it wasn't boney nor did it have any aparent injury. They have been trying their wings a lot. I wonder if it had gotten too high in the coop and fell.... Should I be worried about anything with the rest as far as viral? It's been in the 40's at night and they have a heat lamp. They get game bird starter and scratch as well as apples.

keets are pretty hardy as far as disease goes. COuld they have gotten into something? moldy feed? Do you let them out yet? I let mine out at about 8 weeks as they were just too flighty. Are you giving them grit with that scratch and apples? They need grit if you aren't letting them outside where they can get it from the ground..

What do you mean by some Game Bird starter? During the period of all of the growth that keets go through they should have free choice feed.

It has happened before, they will get to carrying on and smash in to a wall. Usually that results in a broken neck.

I had a beautiful lavendar guinea that died suddenly. I think he flew into the coop and hurt himself. I felt like you, at first. I worried it was something that was going to affect the rest of the keets, but his death was just an accident and they are all fine. Terrible, but it happens. Keep an eye on rest of your guineas, but chances are they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom