8 week old Orpingtons - Rooster/Pullet?

kiwichick_

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
8BA6576F-E9EB-438A-BF3B-29036742CB56.jpeg
32CA8909-4AB7-49F8-B3F7-C0D473D2C1B2.jpeg

Hi there,
I’m stuck on the sex of my Orpington chicks. They are currently 8 weeks old. I’m hopeful that 1 and 2 are pullets 🤞 and I’m fairly certain number 3 is a rooster. However I’ve also been wondering if all three are roosters due to the size and colour of the combs and wattles.
They have me stumped.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 3521549View attachment 3521550

Hi there,
I’m stuck on the sex of my Orpington chicks. They are currently 8 weeks old. I’m hopeful that 1 and 2 are pullets 🤞 and I’m fairly certain number 3 is a rooster. However I’ve also been wondering if all three are roosters due to the size and colour of the combs and wattles.
They have me stumped.

Thanks in advance!
One looks like a pullet to me. 3 is definitely looking like a cockerel, and 2 is as well.

These guys/gals (the Orpingtons in the photo) still have me stumped. They’re 12 weeks old tomorrow, one I’m fairly sure is a rooster. The other two I’m not convinced 🤔

Attachments

• 38C29D69-18F6-420E-8C6F-920E139F690F.jpeg
    38C29D69-18F6-420E-8C6F-920E139F690F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
View attachment 3521549View attachment 3521550

Hi there,
They have me stumped.

Thanks in advance!
I am sorry to say that they are all looking like Roos to me.

These guys/gals (the Orpingtons in the photo) still have me stumped. They’re 12 weeks old tomorrow, one I’m fairly sure is a rooster. The other two I’m not convinced 🤔
They still all like like cockerels to me.
Give them a little longer just in case, but I'm not hopeful.

Hmmmmm -

I think we can translate most of these that say cockerel to:

"The have larger combs and wattles"

But to me aside from Lavender, who has pointed hackles coming in, I think the blues may just be fast maturing pullets. The body shapes on them really don't suggest a cockerel - Id expect to see longer legs atleast.

Two questions -

- under what circumstance did you buy them? Straight run, hatched, sexed, etc?

- are you sure on their age? They appear much older than 12 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom