8 week old pullets

denise62

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 30, 2015
Hi
Hi Just picked up my baby girls 8 week old pullets last night Iam new to this how do i get them to come to me and not run away when i go in their area they surry away from me should i use treats such as fruit ot veggies to get them use to us.. any sugestions would be appreciated ty

I use mealworms to get mine to come when I call them. I just pull up a chair and sit down and put some feed on the ground. When they start to eat I'll give them the worms. It won't take long before they will start eating out of your hand. Be sure and call them before you feed them so they will relate that with treats.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi
Hi Just picked up my baby girls 8 week old pullets last night Iam new to this how do i get them to come to me and not run away when i go in their area they surry away from me should i use treats such as fruit ot veggies to get them use to us.. any sugestions would be appreciated ty

I put mealworms, scratch mix, or sunflower seeds in a plastic container. When I call them, I shake the container and they come running. If there's anything I've learned about chickens in the last six months, it's that they live for treats.

welcome-byc.gif

If you just got them, and they're not used to being handled, I'd back off and leave them be for a week or so. let them settle in to their new home without pressuring them. Most animals need an acclimation time after a move.

After that, food is the great motivator for taming down and animal. As stated above, just pull up a chair and scatter treats at first. Go slow. Let them eat off the ground several feet away from you. Gradually work them closer to you, before you know it they'll be hoping on your lap.

All my chooks were timid when I got them, they all have different personalities, some will keep their distance, some I can catch without much trouble, but they all come running when I shake the food bin. With food I've trained the adults over time to come when I call "chook chook " the chicks haven't learnt yet but they are getting there. it's natural for any young animal, particularly a bottom of the food chain animal like a chook, to be flighty, if they don't move quick they get eaten. You just need patience, I sometimes just sit in the coop or run and watch them, they go about their business but slowly they get a bit closer, don't worry about me so much, especially if I have food. You might never be able to pick them up to cuddle, but you will over time get them to come to you for treats or when called. Patience and food

Back
Top Bottom