8 week old Silkie with 2 huge swollen ear holes filled with solid white matter

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I was outside checking on my chickens this morning and I noticed that one of the 8 week old silkies was falling behind in size. I picked her up and was shocked to see that her ears were swollen to the size of small marbles and filled with a solid white gunk. I brought her in immediately and carefully removed the caked on fluff covering the ear holes then worked the gunk out. I went over both ears with peroxide and antibiotic ointment as per what I read online. I set her up inside in a warm dry bin, Is there anything else I can do? She is still interested in eating and to my knowledge drinking. None of the other birds have any signs of this going on.

Hello! Yikes, that doesn’t sound fun.

It doesn’t seem like there’s anything else you can do for her, if she’s acting normal. Just watch her closely and make sure that the white gunk doesn’t come back. Did you ever figure out what it was or what it was from?

I couldn't tell you what it is but it isn't a foreign object to my knowledge. Little to no blood or pus and there was nothing else in there at all. Just chunks and chunks of this stuff. Thankfully I had a pair of tiny blunt ended tweezers for eyebrow/nose hair tweezing and I managed to get a lot of it out. I will be watching her closely. I really don't want to lose her as she is so pretty and her head poof is so different from the other 2 lighter colored ones.

This is some of what I got out of there. I wasn't loosely sitting in her ears either. It was completely packed in and slightly damp but very solid. Now od course it's dried out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230419_231228630.jpg
    PXL_20230419_231228630.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230419_231439462.jpg
    PXL_20230419_231439462.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230419_231555641.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230419_231555641.PORTRAIT.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230419_231543830.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230419_231543830.PORTRAIT.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 9
Yikes, sounds like an ear infection. Van you get amoxacillin there? Make sure it's all cleaned out.
I have a few 500mg capsules made for people. Online its says 500mg per 1 liter of water. She just escaped from her plastic tote and is hanging out on top. I'm just happy to see she isn't weak.

ETA: I will make sure it's all clean I've been trying not to overwhelm her while I wait for my second set of hands and eyes to get out of work tonight.

I couldn't tell you what it is but it isn't a foreign object to my knowledge. Little to no blood or pus and there was nothing else in there at all. Just chunks and chunks of this stuff. Thankfully I had a pair of tiny blunt ended tweezers for eyebrow/nose hair tweezing and I managed to get a lot of it out. I will be watching her closely. I really don't want to lose her as she is so pretty and her head poof is so different from the other 2 lighter colored ones.
That is chunks of pus. That is infection.

Yes but what else can I do for her?
Take the pus out and give a round antibiotics and hope it's a one time thing.
You could get testing done by your state lab so you will know for sure if you dealing with the respiratory disease or not.
Which state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom