8 week old Silky Wry Neck?

Breakofday316

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
My little silky developed wry neck, which I'm guessing, after being startled. Her neck curls up like a spring with just the slightest startle. I feel so bad for her! I've separated her and have figured out how to hold her in the palm of my hand so she can eat. Although when her neck curls her body shakes and she closes her eyes, lasts about 15secs. It's almost like she is having seizures. Any suggestions? & how long does this last? She's eating drinking only when I hold her a certain way. Unable to on her own in her pen.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you're going through. My little Silkie Taylor has been going through wry neck issues for the past four months, since she was four weeks old.

Wry neck is caused by a vitamin deficiency - specifically thiamine, I believe. I've been using the supplement NutriDrench for my girl's recovery. She lives on her own and has it in her water 24/7.

She's had three bouts. The longest lasted around three weeks. The shortest was this past week and only lasted two days. I hand fed her when she was younger, and have tube fed her most recently as she is now large enough for the tube feeder I own.

From what I understand a bird who has had wry neck will always be special needs, and will need to be treated with "kid gloves." Personally, I have chosen to keep my girl indoors and will soon be building her a special 5x3 indoor coop. No matter would you do, it would be ideal to keep your bird in a small, protected area with only one or two companions who are not aggressive or rowdy.

Thank you all for the tips! Bc of y'all my chicken has improved drastically.
1f603.png
Here are a a few videos of the progress. End video is after she was on vit E, Poly E Visol, & Selinium for three days mixed with her water softened food. She still gets mash Bc she has trouble drinking.
Thank you!
Unraveling her neck without pain or difficulty on chick.
http://s43.photobucket.com/user/BreakofDay316/media/C48C815D-8769-46D1-93F2-A4738B9808E1.mp4.html

Last edited:
My wry neck chicken has had a bad spell over these last 2 weeks. Hardly can come out of twisted neck. Been giving her Selenium, Vit E, Performance Poultry Probiotics & Electrolytes. Unsure what to do now. I have had to hand feed her while holding her neck and continuing to unswist her neck. Any recommendations? Thanks

My wry neck chicken has had a bad spell over these last 2 weeks. Hardly can come out of twisted neck. Been giving her Selenium, Vit E, Performance Poultry Probiotics & Electrolytes. Unsure what to do now. I have had to hand feed her while holding her neck and continuing to unswist her neck. Any recommendations? Thanks

My only experience with wry neck has been a old english bantam that hatched with it. He couldnt stand on his own for first 2 weeks of his life. Although with treatment he has come a long way he has suffered several relapses over his short life. I have found that i need to give him supplements weekly to keep his relapses under control. One dose of vitamin E, selenium and B vitamins weekly has worked wonders. The only time i see his head start to tilt is when hes tired now. Prior to starting this weekly treatment each relapse seemed to take longer to cure so maybe thats whats happening with your silky? If she is having trouble drinking i provided some cucumber with small seeds to help keep him hydrated. Pecking was far easier for him than tilting his head back to swallow liquid. Good luck...i know how frustrating this is!

Back
Top Bottom