8 Week Old Speckled Sussex - Pullet or Cockerel?

Clueless Coop Keeper

In the Brooder
May 9, 2023
Hello,

I'm brand new to chicken keeping and would like some help determining the sex of my Speckled Sussex, Maeve. Her temperament is very calm and sweet. She likes to be held and will sit in my lap and fall asleep. She's also the smallest of the flock which includes an Easter Egger and two Buff Orpingtons of the same age. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9336.jpg
    IMG_9336.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_9337.jpg
    IMG_9337.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9334.jpg
    IMG_9334.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 95
Maeve looks like my SS hen at that age. My roo Yodu (goregous man in my profile pic) had already grown a large comb and wattles and was crowing at 4 weeks. View attachment 3499293
Thanks for the pic! Based on pics i've been seeing online, it seems pretty difficult to tell with this breed- but maybe that's just how it is with chickens. :) Yodu is so gorgeous!

Thanks for the pic! Based on pics i've been seeing online, it seems pretty difficult to tell with this breed- but maybe that's just how it is with chickens. :) Yodu is so gorgeous!
Thanks. :) I read that a female SS chick will have chipmunk stripes from head down the back. A little boy will have a brown spot on his head and stripes on his back. No stripes on his neck. I was supposed to have two females, but when Yondu started crowing, I started researching and found that distinction between the two. Sure enough, one chick'd had stripes all the way down, the other had a cap.

Thanks. :) I read that a female SS chick will have chipmunk stripes from head down the back. A little boy will have a brown spot on his head and stripes on his back. No stripes on his neck. I was supposed to have two females, but when Yondu started crowing, I started researching and found that distinction between the two. Sure enough, one chick'd had stripes all the way down, the other had a cap.
Just looked up some adorable pictures of little Maeve as a young chick - it looks like the chipmunk stripe went from her head all the way down her back. So that's a great sign! Local laws prevent us from keeping roosters where we're located so I'm really hoping she's a pullet. Thank you so much for providing these pictures and so much info. :)

Back
Top Bottom