Speckled Sussex 5wks+ Both roos?

mrsgreen663

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
I purchased these chicks almost 5 weeks ago along with 9 others. 7 different large breeds, only these 2 are speckled sussex. At least I assume they're speckled sussex, the bosses were on holidays and between the person who put them in the labelled brooders and the one who pick them out of the brooders I ended up with many different breeds to what it was I asked for. These were sold to me as Barnevelders and I was told there were no Speckled Sussex available... Barevelders arrived later that day so I went back and purchased them too. Even though I purchased them almost 5 weeks ago, but I think these two might be a week or two older than the ones that were day olds on the day I purchased.
Since they're developing much the same I don't have an alternative to compare them to, but I just want to confirm that with wattle development like this at 5 to 7 weeks, regardless of breed, I'd be safe to assume these are cockerels? Or is there still a chance they could be pullets and speckled sussexes are just early developers? One is slightly darker pink than the other, but the development appears to be much the same. At what age would pullets have wattle development like this?
My photos had busy backgrounds (it's cold and wet outside) so I used a background remover, but included the original as well. I may have messed up the images a little in resizing, hopefully they're clear enough.
Thanks in advance :)

Ug977b4.jpg
nwTgkDJ.png

fF1lQ5n.jpg
i75pYh3.png

No they didn't. The stock list on the day I went in was Olive Eggers, Silkie Bantams, Ameraucanas, Cochins, Polish, Coronation Sussex, Plymouth Rock, Barnevelders, Speckled Sussex, Silver and Gold Laced Wyandottes, Sexed Female Cream Legbar Chicks.

Back
Top Bottom