8 week old with balance issues

Speckledfarmer

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Wausau, WI
1 of my 8 week chicks is having balance issues. Using her wings to balance a lot. She seems fine otherwise. I've brought her back inside to the brooder so that she isn't competing for food and water and put a single heat lamp on. Also added chick-quick vitamins to the water (I had stopped supplementing when they went outside at 5 weeks). She has herself wedged in a corner and has no interest in food or drink. I think she is also upset about being separated. These chicks were vaccinated against Mareks and coccidiosis.

Any idea what may be the problem? Any further suggestions on what to do?

A very hard choice to make.

We had Marek's in our flock, and we tried very hard to save a pullet, but it seemed fruitless for us and we drew the line after a week or so. The vet and out research said MD has a very low survivability rate so we decided to put the little miss out of her misery.

Is your chick gasping or does she look alert just limping?

That brooder is suspicious, before you use it again, give it a really good clean, then scrub with a disinfectant, something like Virkon S which is rated to kill MD.

http://www2.dupont.com/Virkon_S/en_GB/index.html

I bought it in the little sachets for a few bucks each, they make about 2 gal's of cleaner.

Ok, I just inspected her more closely and her crop is really bulging. Or is this a tumor? Thoughts?

Thank you. I massaged her crop while inverted and it seemed to go down. she ate some yogurt. no fluid came out. 12 hours later, she is still eating and drinking, but is quite wobbly(no improvement in her walking). New development is a leg shake thrust forward. Similar to a dog scratching under its collar. Will keep you posted.

I would start giving her some vitamins. It is possible that she has a vitamin B deficiency. This deficiency can cause paralysis of the legs and trouble walking.

It depends on the vitamins. If it is Save-A-Chick in a packet, they go in the water, but you can scrape a bit of Vitamin B tablet into food, or give PolyViSol (no iron) baby vitamins--1-2 drops a day straight or in food.

Back
Top Bottom