8 week old with balance issues

A very hard choice to make.

We had Marek's in our flock, and we tried very hard to save a pullet, but it seemed fruitless for us and we drew the line after a week or so. The vet and out research said MD has a very low survivability rate so we decided to put the little miss out of her misery.

Is your chick gasping or does she look alert just limping?

That brooder is suspicious, before you use it again, give it a really good clean, then scrub with a disinfectant, something like Virkon S which is rated to kill MD.

http://www2.dupont.com/Virkon_S/en_GB/index.html

I bought it in the little sachets for a few bucks each, they make about 2 gal's of cleaner.

I looked at a big one, but gee whiz it was expensive! A few little ones got the job done, but if we were trading or showing or had people coming through our pens often then we would looks at foot baths or something from a big tub.

Thanks all. She is alert and just limping (although she did the classic "roadrunner pose" previously). No gasping. At this point, she places most of her weight on her left leg and appears to be able to balance well on it. She even "roosted" on the 4 inch wide pallet section I have in the brooder. When I handle her, the right foot acts "dead." It doesn't have any tone and doesn't seem to respond to stimulation. The color is the same as the other though. I could be convinced this was just an injury, but her growth has slowed compared to others in the flock (although she is the only one of her breed). Any other thoughts? I really don't know how to assess for injury. She does seem to be improving.

She has done really well! The other girls are a bit mean to her and no one will snuggle with her on the roost, but at least she is able to get up on the roost! Hoping she stays warm enough tonight (low of 57).

Little girl is getting picked on since she is now a smaller "outsider." Even the docile ones are chasing her around the yard. I've noticed the bridge of her beak has some small wounds. She stays in the coop to eat after I let the others out. All in all, she is making it, but I worry about her and think it must be pretty miserable to be Stripey. Ay insight, thoughts or suggestions? I love this little chicken.

I think it is a bit harder when you have one being picked on by all.

If you have a dominant leader that is doing most of the brutality, you can shuffle the pecking order by removing the alpha girl for a couple of days, can also take the 'top 2' out for about a week then let them come back in.

It should lower the bullies in the pecking order and give the little one a chance to assert herself, or at least put on some size.

There was a thread in the title area a couple of weeks ago about coop bullies, I will see if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom