8 week old with balance issues

I think culling her depends on her quality of life. If she has Mareks she might have problems with her crop from time to time because of crop paralysis. If she is comfortable I would leran from her. If she is in pain or suffering that would be a personal choice whether or not to cull.

She is getting along ok for now. She struggles to get food and water, but is still getting it. Interesting, she is eating a ton of grit. How long dies the acute episode typically last if they survive?

She is getting along ok for now. She struggles to get food and water, but is still getting it. Interesting, she is eating a ton of grit. How long dies the acute episode typically last if they survive?
You have checked her leg for any injury(sprain/break)? Is she having problems with one or both legs?

I will inspect her more closely this evening and post a video. I think it is both legs, my husband thinks it is just the right. Can a chick this young have a calcium deficiency? The excessive grit eating seems odd.

These chicks came to you vaccinated. Did they ever have contact with other chickens? Do you have other chickens? I had an 8 week old vaccinated pullet that became paralyzed, and my heart just went out to her. She sat in my bedroom in a cage for 6 weeks, eating and drinking. She did actually start walking again. She's a year old now and a good layer. So if you can, prop her up or keep her in a cage and as long as she's eating and drinking, you may want to wait. If she's not eating and drinking, I would probably euthanize.

Thanks for the advice. We raised them in a plywood brooder I purchased on Craigslist from someone who has chickens. Also, my neighbor raises racing pigeons. We do not have other chickens. She is still eating and drinking, is just seems very difficult for her to move around. I have her back in the brooder which is rather large. Maybe I should put her in a smaller cage. Thanks again.

Update: Her condition is the same. We are giving her 2.5 more weeks. Either she improves enough to go back into the flock or she is culled. What an awful disease.

It is very sad. Mine have always had a happy look on their face as they go down hill. I think it would be easier if they appeared really sick.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom