8 Week Pekin having seizures, not eating

@Amiga thank you! I will get some vitamin B3 tomorrow. I have stopped the spinach honey mixture (she didn't go for it anyway). I so appreciate the advice!

Her seizures have lessened in that she isn't seizing every 2-10 minutes. Today she was going without having a seizure for about 15-25 minutes. Still a lot of seizing, but at least it's a little better than before.

The nutritional yeast will help - it does have the B vitamins she needs.

I am just thinking you might want fairly high boost of Bs for at least a few days, then go with Storey's Guide's recommendation of 150 mg B3 per gallon of water.

I have also read that thiamine can be deficient, so that's why I feel that B complex may cover more bases for ducklings sensitive to B levels.

Thanks for checking in. I need to turn in now.

hugs!

Ok, so the update on Cheese (my sick duck):

She is extremely weak and is still not eating. I hand feed her her grower food + nutritional yeast, but she only eats a tiny amount.

I have been adding vitamin B Complex + vitamin e to her water since yesterday. I have to bring her over to her water and help her steady herself/ I hold her to drink it, which she does.

Every time I go in to check on her she is on her back, with her legs bicycling very slowly. She cannot walk without falling down.

She is so weak, and also seems like part of her body may be paralyzed? I can't tell, but when she tries to walk, her legs push down into the floor and this pushes her upper body up too tall, causing her to lose balance and topple over. This is probably the main reason she cannot get up and I find her on her back, but also from her seizures.

The past two days her seizures have lessened in frequency and instead of every 2-10 minutes they are now occurring at about 40 minutes intervals.

Her seizures tend to be less body-racking and I can't tell if it's because they are less strong or if she just doesn't have the energy to flap her wings during them.

In any case, she hasn't broken any blood feathers for a couple days. It appears that most of them are broken off and gone though (I'm not sure how many she had to begin with/ how many they normally have.)

I'm hoping the vitamin b helps her, but I'm concerned she is starving herself. Is it ok that she's not eating? Is there anything I can give her that will be easy to digest and give her an energy boost? I've read sugar water? Is blending greens up and putting it in water a bad idea for some reason?

@Amiga and @MissLydia, everyone who has helped me here, and anyone else with sick duckling experience, I am so grateful for your help, and support in this. I am alone here and feel exhausted emotionally and physically. Every free minute I have is spent by her side. She is suffering so much, but still hanging on.

I'm sorry I know how hard it is to take care of a sick one. I was hopeing she would be better once she got the vitamins and nutridrench.

She needs to eat have you ever tube feed a duck before. This person can tell you how to feed her by using a tube down her throat. Let me see if she can help you. God bless you and you and Cheese are in my prayers.

@casportpony

Thank you @pattyhen ! I sent @casportpony a PM and we'll see if she's available to help me with the tube feeding.

Cheese is extremely weak now.

Plus, one of her eyes has sealed shut. Poor baby is just getting worse.

I'm so sorry I hope she can help you with the tube feeding. (((((((((hugs))))))))))) I wish there was something I could do for her.

Back
Top Bottom