8 weeks old today-Cornish Rock X

Dennis,
My tractor is shaded with tin 9 feet out of 12. The sides are hardware wire all the way around to allow as much breeze and circulation as possible.

At about 5 weeks old I put them in an area with a little more shade. Other than put ice in their water (maybe 10 days total) and give them a watermelon to eat in the afternoon(maybe a dozen total), not anything special.

Harris County Farms is located on Miller Rd 2 between old Hwy 90 and the Crosby Freeway. Miller Rd is about 2 miles east of Beltway 8.

Large, clean facility. They clean birds for $3 and will cut them if you want, but don't bag them. They also sell broilers, ducks, geese, rabbits, goats, pigs, and occational cattle that they'll butcher while you wait.

I had a CC who started crowing at 3 weeks old. Crowed right up until he was processed, so the processor told me
lol.png

I've processed a few from this batch. I don't mind doing a handful, but more than that is a pain.

I've got a motor in the barn that I think would work great for a homemade plucker. If I ever get around to building one I would probably do them all and save the money.

I do mine in batches so I'd rather take mine for processing.But I love to build things,sometimes just to see if I can.I always thought about buying a bunch of those rubber fingers through Strombergs for a plucker and make my own out of a old washing machine.You'd have to drill out some of the holes in the drum for the fingers and probably hook the switch for spin cycle only.Drum size my be small though? just a thought for someone looking for a project. Will

Harris Country Farms charges $3 per bird, plucked and cleaned "roaster style". For $1 more per bird, they will skin them.

Looking to have mine "done" here pretty quickly.

M
LaPorte, TX :O)

Last edited:
aladrot,
You got their number? They do a TERRIBLE job advertising. They aren't listed ANYWHERE on the world wide web. I meant to drive by this morning on the way home and write it down, but I forgot.

I think I'm gonna shoot for Tuesday morning. When you going?

281-452-3250

They are Harris CountRy Farms. I as well thought that they were Harris County Farms, and this put a kink in our locating a good number on them. I'm not certain exactly when I'll be heading over there, but hopefully this weekend or early next week.

M

Back
Top Bottom