8 weeks old today-Cornish Rock X

HFC

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 29, 2007
Crosby, TX
Well, 8 weeks old today. I'll try to weigh a couple, but I'm guessing they'll dress a little over 4lbs each (all pullets).

They came May 19. It immediately hit 90 degree days, so I brooded them in a rabbit hutch outside. At two weeks old they went into the tractor. June was even worse, most days were mid-90s and up. The first 8 or 9 days of July gave a little relief, but still no days under 90 for high.

Mortality: One killed by a feeder at about 1 week old.
One killed while moving chicken tractor at 3 1/2 weeks old. Dressed out a little bigger than a cornish game hen.
Three killed by someone else borrowing my tractor (Kubota, not chicken). They didn't unhook all the way. These were just under 6 weeks and all dressed a little over 3lbs.

No mortality due to disease, heat, or leg problems. Yet. I've got 3 1/2 more bags of feed I'm not going to waste.

I think heat spikes are much more deadly than constant heat. These birds haven't seen any temperatures at all under 70. 56 days over 90.

This is my second batch of Cornish X from McMurray. I'm happy. My next batch with be color rangers, but I'm definitely not jumping on the Cornish X Hater bandwagon yet.

Last edited:
are you taking them to that processor? i know this may sound weird but if you are, i was hoping to come see the whole process....can i join you at the processor on processing day?

I think I'll take them to Harris County Farms. If it's worth the drive over there for you I'll let you know for sure when. I'd like to shoot for either Saturday or Monday of next week. I guess I ought to call him tomorrow.

Did you see the thread about the meat bird order?

i think it would be. i just got me an upright freezer off of craigslist. i just need to build me another tractor and i'm ready to get me some more birds. seems everytime i build a tractor, something else ends up occupying it.
tongue.png
i so wanted to get me some turkeys but i told myself no more new breeds until i have everything else organized. i thought that would motivate me to get things done but this heat has not helped.

i really want to see the harris county farms so i can let my friend know about it also. her red bros will be ready in about 4 weeks or so if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Quote:
Boy,I hope not.Us Cornish guys got to stick together.I was beginning to think the Rangers were taking over.Please let us know after your next batch what you final thought is.

Sounds like you had a great batch,you got some pretty warm weather there.Knock on wood I have never had a high rate of loses with Cornish Xs like some mention.I think they are a great meat breed.I think the loses are due to other factors.

Sounds like you'll have your freezer full by winter. great job Will

will, you're so funney. i've raised both and they both have their great points. i enjoy both types of broilers and i have both types running around on my pasture. when they become of laying age (they're around 4 months old right now), i hope to try and breed them and see what kind of chicks they give me.

Quote:
HFC - what and where is harris county farms? I assume they process the birds?

I'm in a certain master planned community not far from you (down 1960 towards the airport). I am anxious to start raising my own birds but I I don't think I'll get away with raising any Cornish Crosses in my backyard. The OA might not understand. My brother lives in Beaumont and he is thinking about running a small batch of Cornish X's. I may put some of my own birds in with his.

My wife and I are planning our "escape" from this miserable place as soon as possible. In the meantime I'm gathering information.

I know what you mean about the heat. It got hot early this year and it has been a really hot and dry summer so far. I have been wondering what the effect of this heat would be on a batch of cornish crosses. Did you do anything special to keep the birds cool?

Dennis

hfc, on the meat bird order....

i usually end up ordering double what i want to keep and selling half at the feed store i buy feed from. i can buy 100 at $110, sell 50 at $2 per chick and have $10 plus 5 miles of gas into 50 chicks for myself.

i do the same with the cornish. buy double what i want and sell half for $2 a chick which takes me out of the red at least for a while.

shangri where are you located? i think tx-dane is wanting to split an order....

and dennis, my hairdresser who is vietnamese, her brother lives in a subdivision and raises about 10-15 cornish X at a time. from my experience, they don't make any noise since you're processing them at 6-8 weeks so there's no crowing or cackling that can make your neighbors wonder. put their poop into a compost pile with pdz and you won't have any smell either. come processing day, you can take them in a dog kennel and take you an ice chest full of ice for the processed birds to be in.

Back
Top Bottom