8 X 12 Add on coop using pallets and reclaim wood

Very nice! I absolutely love using what is available to build things. You've done a great job! I love it! Please show us the finished project inside and out okay?

It would be so easy to do with those ready made spaces in the walls. I'd get a big roll of brown postal paper(they sell them in huge rolls) and staple it up, drop loose insulation like sawdust/shavings, straw, foam packing peanuts, etc. down in the spaces behind the paper, then place your interior wall. Got any sawmills in the area?
pop.gif

Last edited:
It would be so easy to do with those ready made spaces in the walls. I'd get a big roll of brown postal paper(they sell them in huge rolls) and staple it up, drop loose insulation like sawdust/shavings, straw, foam packing peanuts, etc. down in the spaces behind the paper, then place your interior wall. Got any sawmills in the area?
pop.gif

I have a friend who have a wood shop and I can get all the saw dust I want. I just might do that.

My last house was insulated with sawdust and it was a two story old farm house. Stayed really warm in the winter and very cool in the summer(even upstairs)...not typical of those old farmhouses with the old windows and such. I didn't know why until the old neighbor lady told me what was in the walls of the house. Cheap and effective!

You could even do the roof that way, couldn't you? Just place your ceiling boards and then go up there and shovel in some sawdust, then cover with your roofing boards and such.

Last edited:
Unless you are going to have an exhaust fan for the summer months, be careful totally sealing up your hen house. Chickens can stand pretty cold weather and dont really need insulation unless you live in Alaska. Coops can get very stinky without ventilation.

Unless you are going to have an exhaust fan for the summer months, be careful totally sealing up your hen house. Chickens can stand pretty cold weather and dont really need insulation unless you live in Alaska. Coops can get very stinky without ventilation.

It would be real easy to get this design ventilated...just remove the top boards of the uppermost pallets of every other pallet and place hardware wire over it. Same with the ventilation at the base of the walls....air in at the bottom and out at the top. Simple.

Good, big windows in the walls for summer open air designs...the design capabilities of this type of a structure are endless!

Last edited:

Roof

Back wall you can see my roof ventilation It the same in the front too.

Front almost done.

Back
Top Bottom