8 x 16 Pallet chicken run.

Pics
Did you find anymore pallets and get anymore work done?I found some 1/2" hardware cloth on clearance at Lowesso the top of my run was finished this week! I added more photos today if you would like to see them.The photos at the end of this thread ! If you have more photos please post them for me thanks!
:oops:I usually like to be more thrifty but we are using some pallet scraps along with 1/2 in plywood & some 2x4s to make a new coop because of chicken math and I realized my first coop, which was kindly given to me by friends, is really too narrow.

:oops:I usually like to be more thrifty but we are using some pallet scraps along with 1/2 in plywood & some 2x4s to make a new coop because of chicken math and I realized my first coop, which was kindly given to me by friends, is really too narrow.
Building coops & runs out of scrap lumber & pallets IS thrifty ! I was in the hole by the time I bought the 1st bag of feed, not to mention time and labor .:lau

Attachments

• WP_20210811_15_22_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210811_15_22_19_Pro.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 9
Building coops & runs out of scrap lumber & pallets IS thrifty ! I was in the hole by the time I bought the 1st bag of feed, not to mention time and labor .:lau
That’s why I am embarrassed to admit how much we purchased new! I wish I were being thriftier! But sometimes the convenience of a sheet of plywood, plus not having to use as many nails or screws can be really tempting!! But there’s always gonna be SOME pallet involved I have anything to do with building something!!

That’s why I am embarrassed to admit how much we purchased new! I wish I were being thriftier! But sometimes the convenience of a sheet of plywood, plus not having to use as many nails or screws can be really tempting!! But there’s always gonna be SOME pallet involved I have anything to do with building something!!
Not all projects are thrifty nor should they be! Working with whole pallets, used lumber and salvaged construction waste is brutally hard work. I spent all spring and summer scrounging up material to finish building this.So new material saves time!!For people who are retired like myself it makes sense but for people with jobs it is not.Lol

Not all projects are thrifty nor should they be! Working with whole pallets, used lumber and salvaged construction waste is brutally hard work. I spent all spring and summer scrounging up material to finish building this.So new material saves time!!For people who are retired like myself it makes sense but for people with jobs it is not.Lol
Well you’ve done some very good work!

Well you’ve done some very good work!
Thank you very much for your kind words! The most important thing is it protects them from predators and shelters them in heavy snow and wind. I ordered a tarp for it yesterday.

This gives me some good ideas for expanding my run and possibly helping provide some essential shade for a brutal western exposure along one wall.

Questions: How much modification did you do on the pallets before putting everything together? Sanding off splinters? Re-attaching loose planks? Removing planks in bad condition? Removing exposed nails, etc.?

Pallets are super heavy, too, so did you remove any planks just to make them lighter to work with?

Also, does your HW cloth cover the interior walls or just exterior?

Thanks for sharing!

This gives me some good ideas for expanding my run and possibly helping provide some essential shade for a brutal western exposure along one wall.

Questions: How much modification did you do on the pallets before putting everything together? Sanding off splinters? Re-attaching loose planks? Removing planks in bad condition? Removing exposed nails, etc.?

Pallets are super heavy, too, so did you remove any planks just to make them lighter to work with?

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
Edited:
To answer your question about how much modifying was done to the pallets I did very little to .them but add planks and fill in gaps. My run is within 2 ft of my green house so I modified 2 pallets to make double gates out of them (1st pic) I needed to keep an access point on that side of the green house should I need to do any repairs to the green house.That side of the run was modified completely using pallet wood and pressure treated boards .I didn't sand anything or remove splinters.I only bent over nails or removed them.I added planks so that 50% of the pallets have planks on both sides.

Attachments

• WP_20210811_15_18_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210811_15_18_29_Pro.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Thanks for sharing!
I attached hardware cloth to one side of the fence only.The side with the double gates has wire attached on the inside.Everywhere else the hardware cloth was attached on the outside

Attachments

• WP_20210922_12_02_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210922_12_02_29_Pro.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20210922_12_01_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210922_12_01_35_Pro.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom