8 yr old Silkie Wry neck or??

Redbrew

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Silkie hen, our oldest bird, started doing this head bobbing motion, looked at first line she was preening, but quickly obviously not, as hasn't stopped. Walks backwards occasionally, head usually either bobbing or completely limp on ground between feet.

I have treated with adding vit E oil once a day to a bantam egg and used that as the liquid for Kaytee baby formula. Her other 2 feedings daily are just the kaytee/water.

She's maintaining weight, her poops look normal. Her crop is emptying between feedings and at night.

Any thoughts? The only improvement I've seen was very very slight ... she seemed to hold her head up straight on two occasions that I saw and appeared to be standing more upright yesterday.

She's an old girl, but has survived 80+ other birds over her eight years. We'd love to see her get well. I relish any applicable thoughts or advice.

My plan is to keep supportive care as is, so long as she maintains weight and doesn't develop any other complications. Should I up the vit E dosing?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you, don't think i was giving enough vit E. Remedied that with her feeding this evening, which went down really well (tube feeding 3x a day, not always clean and quick with a spasming old bird). The Kaytee has vit B in it, but I will get some liquid tomorrow to include.

I'm assuming keep that up until improvement?

Back
Top Bottom