80% humidity during hatch.should I get it down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justtoni44, Jun 21, 2010.

1. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hi,
    I am still confused about humidity after hatching begins.............
    My humidity is almost eighty................three chicks out so far out of 29.
    I had the humidity at 55.....what I do not understand is........
    do I get the humidity down again so the unhatched chicks do not drown..or leave it alone????????
    And if I do not get the humidity down,How does that work as far as keeping it at 55 prior to hatching.
    It is not making sense to me.
    Thank You in advance

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Leave it alone. The high humidity warning is for the first 18 days. High humidity can cause the air cell not to enlarge to a proper size, which will make the space that the chick can breathe smaller. During lockdown, thehumidity needs to be high to help the chick break through the membranes as well as keep the air flow somewhat good throughout the pores in the egg.

Humidity increases as chicks hatch. They are breaking through the membranes which hold moisture inside the egg. If you see a sudden spike in the humidity, it is because the chicks are breaking through the membranes. Mines at 80% right now as well.

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    That helps,
    Thank You

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you've taken all the vent plugs out, just leave things as is. They should be fine.

Rancher

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive been hatching out my mandarins with my silkies, and kept the humidity around 80-82% and nobody has drowned. (they were in a forced air bator)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by