80% of one breed died overnight.

AmandaT13

Hatching
Jun 20, 2017
Hi all,
So we got golden laced Batman Cochins from a registered breeder just under 2 months ago. This morning 4 out of 5 were dead/dying by noon. No signs of injury or anything and they were fine last night when I but them away. They are in a coop and run with other Batman Cochins and silkies we got at the same time and they are all fine. Any ideas? Would something genetic show up suddenly 7 weeks in? So confused and a bit worried.
TIA

It would be helpful if you could give us some idea of symptoms? Also, have you checked them over thoroughly for any puncture wounds from predators..... stoats and weasels can get through very small holes and will suck blood sometimes without causing any obvious injury.
Coccidiosis can strike very quickly so check their poop for any blood or mucous that might point in that direction.
Where did you find them in the coop? Were they in a pile in a nest box or strewn about. Had they started to roost yet?
Marek's can cause sudden death at that age but the chances of 4 of the same breed dying suddenly in the same night from it are unlikely. Could they have been frightened by something and piled into a nest box together and suffocated/been trampled? A photo of your set up and/or more information would give us more idea of what may have happened.

There were two in the coop not together and two in the run not together. No symptoms the day before. The one i saw dying was laying down and looked like it was just bathing, but weakly. We did check them over and they look normal. No kidding feathers or blood or wounds. None of the other chicks seem bothered. Very unusual. I will send pics of the coop and run in a bit.

So are you saying that they died overnight or through the day? ....I'm assuming through the day, since two were in the run. When you say bathing, was it stretched out with limbs at odd angles like they do when they are sunbathing, or floundering on the ground on it's side unable to get up.....I'm guessing that would look a bit like dust bathing. Has it been unusually hot where ever you are in the world..... it really helps if you include some information about your location in your profile page so that we can see at a glance where you are each time you post. Location can be surprisingly pertinent to many problems/ advice given.

There is one good way to find out what happened of course and that is to send one off for a necropsy. Losing 4 together out of the blue is very unusual and no doubt upsetting and something I would want to get to the bottom of. Again, knowing where in the world you are might help pin point facilities that could carry out such an examination.

Really sorry for your losses. It must have been very heart breaking to see such young birds dead and dying.

We are in southern Ontario. It has been warm but we keep fans and a thermometer in the coop and last night was actually very nice, around 70F. The one i saw dying was laying down and ruffling it's feathers like it was just bathing, but not very much movement. By the time I got in there, like 30 seconds, it was dead. Here are pics of the run, coop and my last girl. She seems a bit docile to me. Letting me handle her easier today.
20170620_142423.jpg
20170620_142423.jpg
20170620_142413.jpg

All the same age and bought at the same time. The last one died this afternoon. That whole breed is gone now in less than 24 hours.

Take a look at your feed container, to note any chemical odor or a blue-green mold in parts of it. Mold poisoning can affect all within hours. Look around (if they can get out of the run to free range) for any plants that might be poisonous. Did you notice any weakness in their legs prior to them dying? Coccidiosis could definitely be a possibility, but I would think you would see symptoms of sick chickens--sleepiness, standing hunched or puffed up, runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, and not eating. Check with your ministry of health or agricultural officer about getting a couple looked at (necropsy.) Sometimes the cost is the same for several as one, and it may increase the ability to find a diagnosis. Bodies must be refrigerated and in good condition. Sorry for your loss.

Feed bucket is clean and dry. These birds have not free ranged yet. Maybe coccidiosos because the one remaining this morning did seem lethargic, but that would have affected all the birds in the coop, right? And the other are as active as normal, so far. What can I do for coccidiosos?

Back
Top Bottom